Floyd Cowan visited Calang in Aceh one year after the tsunami wreaked havoc on the small fishing village where he saw how a medical clinic set up and funded by Rolls-Royce and HSBC has helped the people as they struggle to recover.The rotor on the Russian military helicopter throbbed in a regular monotonous beat as we drifted down an idyllic coastline painted with white beaches, decorated with odd shaped islands of rocks and cliffs and solitary palms. Over the green undulating forest-clad mountains themorning sun sent gentle rays that glimmered golden off the sea. This was perfect peace and beauty and unspoiled nature. But this is the paradise that nature spoiled. This is Aceh. One year after the December 26, 2004 tsunami wreaked havoc on Sumatra the landscape remains scarred and the people deeply wounded.We had already seen Banda Aceh and we could still see the destruction the tsunami had wrought but we could not see all the damage it had done. With us on the Russian helicopter that was doing United Nations duty was a Muslim lady with a gentle round face that was as peaceful as the morning and as radiant as the rising sun. Her eyes sparkled… Read full this story
- Jahangir Tareen remembered as Senate elections draw near
- Lily Tomlin remembers her late Beverly Hillbillies costar and 'great scene partner' Cloris Leachman: 'She was the most extraordinary person'
- Lark Voorhies remembers 'warm and special friendship' with Dustin Diamond as she shares Saved by the Bell throwback after Screech actor dies at 44 of lung cancer
- Martha Stewart reveals she 'sort of' went on a 'dinner date' with Larry King ... as she fondly remembers the late talk show host after his passing
- Letters: We honor King we prefer to remember, not the one he really was
- Raymond Blanc remembers life growing up with Maman Blanc and when he cooked for the Queen Mother
- Remembering MLK: 3 Friends Who Spent Time In Jail Now Give Back To Underserved Communities With Food Delivery Business
- Lakers Legend Kobe Bryant, Daughter Gianna Remembered On One-Year Anniversary Of Tragic Crash
- Jimmy Greaves Remembers A Different World Cup
- Kobe Bryant remembered by celebrities on 1-year anniversary of his death: 'Missed and loved'
- Sports world remembers Kobe Bryant on one-year anniversary of his death
- The world is 'remembering to forget' the Holocaust's tough lessons
Always Remember Calang have 377 words, post on ezinearticles.com at March 21, 2006. This is cached page on CHUTEU. If you want remove this page, please contact us.