Husband and wife team John and Helen Taylor struck out from Chantilly, Virginia today on a 23-day, 8000 mile loop around the 48 contiguous states in an attempt to break the Guiness World Record for the lowest fuel consumption on a trip around the U.S. The current record stands at 51.8 mpg. Breaking fuel mileage records is nothing new for the Taylors. The Australian couple has been setting and breaking records around the world for 26 years. They hold 36 world records and have made records in South Africa, Asia, Europe, the Middle East, North America and their native Australia. In 2006, they set a world record driving around the globe in a Volkswagen Golf on only 24 tanks of gas. This time, their weapon of choice is a brand new 2009 Volkswagen Jetta TDI. The EPA rates the first 50-state-legal clean diesel at 29 mpg city and 40 mpg highway, though third-party tester AMCI was able to do 38 mpg city and 44 mpg highway. The Taylors are confident that their years of experience in frugal driving will help them squeeze a few extra miles out of each gallon and take home the record. “It will be a great… Read full this story
- Porsche Cayenne Pulls Airbus A380 For New Guinness World Record
- U2's 40 greatest songs – ranked!
- Every NL team's biggest 'what if' of the 21st century: Steve Bartman, A-Rod as a Met and more
- How Nashville Became One Big Bachelorette Party
- The 50 best movies on Amazon Prime right now
- 'Master Thief' burglar hopes to catch break on sentence
- Buying Things Is The American Way. Could COVID-19 Change That?
- I Don't Feel Like Buying Stuff Anymore
- Tragic children of ‘killer’ Disney dad Anthony Todt smile in holiday pictures just days before they were ‘murdered’
- This pandemic, I'm drinking through the souvenir wine I've collected since I was 14
- Britain's death toll could be DOUBLE official tally as care homes whistle-blower says coronavirus is being 'airbrushed' off death certificates and ex-minister claims residents are left 'like lambs to the slaughter' - after 92 new outbreaks in a day
- ‘Aladdin’s $116M-$117M Opening Reps A Whole New World For Disney At Memorial Day B.O.
Couple attempts around-U.S. mpg record in 2009 VW Jetta TDI have 347 words, post on www.motortrend.com at September 3, 2008. This is cached page on CHUTEU. If you want remove this page, please contact us.