The problems usually start with the short putts say, under three feet and progress to the mid range and then the long putts. The confidence goes, more putts are missed, the confidence goes further etc. etc.
There is a simple psychological reason for this. If you are putting from forty feet away you do not really expect to sink it but if it is a three footer you expect yourself to hole out.
It is the matter of expectation that puts the pressure on you. This is a drain down which many players sink but it does not have to be like this.
If you can, watch some of the juniors practice on the green. Notice how they step up to the ball, stroke and it goes in. Their secret is that they never think it won’t. Your problem is that you think you will miss.
To get back the confidence you had as a child you should follow some simple tips. Putting help has never been easier. Make conscious effort to adopt a pre-putt routine for your putting just like you do for your other shots.
Step One: Decide on a line. That’s it, make a decision, that is all you have to do. Once you have determined the target line, considered the slope of the green and the grain of the grass the rest is just mechanics.
Step Two: Having decided on the line the only concern you have is speed. To follow the target line the ball has to be struck at the right pace. This is fairly straightforward as you only have to stand behind the ball and make a couple of practice swings and you can imagine the ball dropping into the hole.
Step Three; Do it!. When you have made the decision on the line and practised the length of stroke there is nothing to think about. It is simply a matter of moving your putter.
All the putting help you need is in your mind. The problems you have are in your mind. Take the mind out of the equation and the problem disappears like so much smoke.
The brain is your greatest ally in the game of golf, unfortunately it is also your biggest opponent. If you can get the brain on-side then there is nothing stopping you from putting three footers or forty footers.
By adopting a pre-putt routine you can get out of the way of yourself and go into automatic. This is how Tiger, Phil and Ernie do it and they may be putting for half a million dollars.
- CSK vs MI Live Score: Chennai Super Kings vs Mumbai Indians IPL 2018 Live Cricket Score from Pune: Mumbai Indians beat Chennai Super Kings by 8 wickets
- Bloated Britons health warning: How expanding waistlines are putting HALF of middle-aged people at risk of killer diseases
- Mediterranean diet could help kidney transplant patients: Eating more fish and less red meat 'cuts the risk of donor organs failing by 30%'
- How to Improve and Monitor Your Credit Score by Using Technology
- Boxing Day Test: Travis Head, pacers put Australia in control on Day 2
- Hidden Gems: The 10 Most Under-the-Radar Markets Where Buyers Can Score a Fantastic Deal
- ‘Harriet’ Composer Terence Blanchard Crafts Sweeping Score In Celebration Of Real-Life Superhero Harriet Tubman
- NFL coaching carousel: It's Giants or stay put for Matt Rhule, Vikings loss could topple Mike Zimmer, and more
- Oswego East Student Athlete of the Week-Sam Rodenbostel
- Gavrikov’s Late Goal Lifts Blue Jackets Over Isles, New York Loses 3rd Straight At Coliseum
- Isles Fall In OT In San Jose, But Point Streak Grows To 17 Games
- Countries implementing about half of WHO recommendations