‘Who can motivate and appeal to the young and idealistic who are willing to work hard to create an India that matches their ambitions? Who is their role model?’ ‘Someone like Modi who has worked his way up from the lower middle class, and has shown steely leadership and produced results? Or some child of privilege? You be the judge,’ says Rajeev Srinivasan. T he New York Times has always claimed it prints ‘all the news fit to print’. While one might quibble about this — and Noam Chomsky did in his indictment of the US media, Manufacturing Consent — it must be granted that the American paper does try to offer some variety in its points of view, although it is decidedly left-leaning and supports the Democratic Party. No such luck with the Indian media, both the print and electronic variants (the Internet media does, in its defence, offer some variety). It does not offer up a menu of anything other than what might be considered lunatic-fringe left in any normal country. In fact, even a mild leftist will be considered far-right according to the skewed discourse in India, which has addled the brains of one or two entire… Read full this story
- Coalition will consider tax breaks for small publishers in media reform deal
- Rupert Murdoch: Will this prove to be the media king’s last act?
- 'If Modi lives up to his promises, his ideological past does not matter'
- View: What’s in Modi's Budget for 1.3 billion Indians? Precious little
- Hina Khan On Slamming KRK For Mocking Her On Social Media: 'That Tweet Really Needed A Reply'
- Newt Gingrich on Iowa: 'Media is totally misreporting' results after 'rigged process'
- Policing social media to combat online radicalization
- What Modi govt can do to save PSU banks
- What Delhi election result means for PM Modi, Kejriwal, Rahul Gandhi
- 'Without winning another state, Kejri can't be a threat to Modi'
- 2020 NBA trade deadline: Andre Drummond, Enes Kanter and other players react to the moves on social media
- Fans joke Man Utd transfer link has got to Messi’s head as Barcelona star misses chance he would normally bury vs Bilbao
How Modi got the media to acknowledge his hangout have 349 words, post on www.rediff.com at September 4, 2012. This is cached page on CHUTEU. If you want remove this page, please contact us.