The live announcing of drag racing is an art practiced by lots of weekend amateurs and very few professionals. At the top of that list is Jon Lundberg, who from 1959 until 1982 was The Voice of Drag Racing. During his career, Lundberg has announced at more than 130 dragstrips in North America, and estimates that he spoke more than 100 million words about the sport and the people in it. Lundberg saw his first hot rod on the streets of East Lansing, Michigan, in 1949 and was hooked then and there. “I was thunderstruck,” he says. He and his buddy John Hicks learned about hot rods from the owner of that car, who lived up the street. They sent away for a So-Cal Speed Shop catalog and memorized it. They rode their motor scooters to their first drag race, at Capitol City Airport in August of 1950, a showdown between the Genesee Gear Grinders, from Flint, and the Lansing Pan Draggers, their local club. The race was run by the Strategic Air Command, one of many drag and road races SAC sanctioned in that era. Lundberg’s first effort at hot rodding was replacing the 21-stud flathead in Hicks’ father’s… Read full this story
- 'I'm proud my 11-year-old son is a drag queen'
- Donald Trump vows revenge after Jon Tester derailed his pick to lead Veterans Affairs
- Sturgeon drag queen meets Trump... it must be this year’s Fringe programme
- Jonny Bairstow drags England back from brink of further embarrassment with unbeaten 97
- The Wacky Races of press conferences
- There is something beautiful about raising a child as a sole parent – but that doesn’t mean it’s easy
- Governor creates team to take over carnival duties
- Sebastian Vettel cruises to Canadian Grand Prix victory and retakes championship lead from Lewis Hamilton
- Everything you need to know about Pride Cymru's Big Weekend
- Crowds gather at Norwich’s City Hall to protest about Donald Trump’s UK visit
- Game of Thrones dominates Emmy nominations with 22 nods
- Ten must-see old videos of weird and wonderful Paris
Jon “Thunderlungs” Lundberg: The Voice of Drag Racing have 329 words, post on www.hotrod.com at November 23, 2015. This is cached page on CHUTEU. If you want remove this page, please contact us.