MOSCOW (Sputnik) — According to the information received by the Russian Defense Ministry, tensions in the Nagorno-Karabakh region escalated late on April 1 and in the early hours of April 2. “In light of the latest developments, on April 2, Russian Defense Minister Sergei Shoigu held telephone talks with his colleagues, Armenian Defense Minister Seyran Ohanyan and Azerbaijani Defense Minister Zakir Hasanov, on the necessity of urgent measures to stabilize the situation in the conflict zone,” the press service said. © Sputnik / Natalia SeliverstovaPutin Urges Karabakh Conflict Parties to Immediately Cease FireOn Saturday, Baku and Yerevan traded blame for breaching the truce in the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict and reported about heavy fighting in the area. The Azerbaijani Defense Ministry reported shelling and dozens of ceasefire violations by the Armenian armed forces, while the Armenian Defense Ministry reported offensive actions from the Azerbaijani side. “The contested region and the self-declared Nagorno-Karabakh Republic are constantly being monitored by the Russian Defense Ministry,” the ministry said in a statement. The conflict between Armenia and Azerbaijan began in 1988, after the predominantly Armenian Nagorno-Karabakh autonomous region announced its secession from the Azerbaijan Soviet Socialist Republic. Nagorno-Karabakh proclaimed its independence in 1991, prompting a war that lasted until a Russia-brokered ceasefire was signed in 1994. In September 2015, the conflict escalated, with the sides blaming each other for violating the truce.
- Israel Struck Almost 'All Iran Infrastructure in Syria' - Defense Minister
- Smoke Billows From Russian Consulate Chimney In San Francisco
- Russian Army in Far East Not on Alert Amid N Korea Escalation - Source
- Did Tweets Help Deescalate Recent US-Iran Tensions?
- Japan Navy Destroyer Sails for Middle East as Iran-U.S. Tension Lingers
- US escalation must be countered by reason and diplomacy
- Britain's call to arms: RAF will double size of Chinook fleet in Iraq while Navy puts Royal Marines on war footing amid growing tensions with Iran
- Spike in US-North Korea Tensions Signals 'Talks Possible in the Coming Months'
- Our ships in the Med will take migrants BACK to Turkey, says Fallon: Defence Secretary escalates response to the crisis
- Putin names new Cabinet as key members of Russian govt stay
- US Coalition Unable to Complete Defeat of Daesh Near Syria's Hajin - Russian MoD
- US Reportedly Mulls 'Powerful Strike' on Syria, 22 Targets Include Russian Sites
Russian Defense Minister Calls for De-escalating Nagorno-Karabakh Tensions have 362 words, post on sputniknews.com at April 2, 2016. This is cached page on CHUTEU. If you want remove this page, please contact us.