Secretary of State Rex Tillerson met Sunday with Chinese President Xi Jinping, talking about diplomacy and shared interests after earlier warning that the military “option is on the table” to stop North Korea’s nuclear program.North Korea tested a rocket engine over the weekend while Tillerson was in Beijing.In their 30-minute meeting, Xi and Tillerson agreed that China and the United States could cooperate more but acknowledged that differences between the two countries are likely to endure, the State Department said.Tillerson spoke to Xi about common interests of the United States and China — the world’s two largest economies and greatest trade partners — and said Xi and President Trump should talk more, even after a “very lengthy telephone conversation” the two leaders already had.Tillerson said Trump places a “very high value” on communications with the Chinese president and looks forward to “the opportunity of a visit in the future,” the Associated Press reported.Trump harshly criticized China during the presidential campaign and since taking office, warning of changes he’ll make to the U.S.-Chinese relationship on trade, North Korea and the South China Sea, where China has built fortifications on artificial islands in disputed waters.Such tensions, however, were barely visible in the public statements made by Tillerson and his Chinese hosts.Xi welcomed Tillerson… Read full this story
- Chinese President Xi Jinping's astonishing rise to become one of the world's most powerful people
- Donald Trump Blames Russia, Not China, for North Korea Tensions
- PM Modi, Xi Jinping look to refresh India-China ties at seaside summit
- No 'House of Cards': In Seattle Speech, Xi Jinping Seeks to Reassure on Cyber Attacks, Human Rights, Corruption
- Unparalleled, says India on PM Modi’s ‘unscripted’ summit with Xi Jinping
- Temple visits, cultural events and talks in Chinese President Xi Jinping’s India itinerary
- China's Belt and Road Forum shows Xi Jinping's 'genius marketing ploy' has become 'project of the century'
- Donald Trump Hopes Hong Kong Crisis Can Be Solved 'Humanely,' Offers Personal Meeting with China's Xi Jinping to Help
- The Guardian view on China under Xi Jinping: it prefers control to reform
- 5000 cops, Navy warships secure Mamallapuram for PM Modi, Xi Jinping summit
- G20 Summit: Could a 'trillion-dollar' Donald Trump-Xi Jinping handshake save the world from recession?
- Any attempt to split China will be ‘crushed’: President Xi Jinping warns during maiden visit to Nepal
Tillerson meets with China's Xi Jinping as N. Korea tests rocket engine have 389 words, post on www.usatoday.com at March 19, 2017. This is cached page on CHUTEU. If you want remove this page, please contact us.