By Long Beach Press Telegram | [email protected] | PUBLISHED: August 31, 2017 at 6:10 pm | UPDATED: September 11, 2017 at 1:56 pm Residents of the greater South Bay are weary of living in fear of an accidental release of hydrofluoric acid at the last two California oil refineries using it. We don’t welcome Californians from other regions, like San Bernardino County Supervisor Curt Hagman, telling us what we can and can’t do about it. Hagman insisted in a recent guest commentary in these pages that deadly modified hydrofluoric acid (MHF) must stay because replacing it would raise gas prices. However, California drivers took in stride ExxonMobil’s complete, 11/2-year shutdown after the February 2015 explosion, plus simultaneous strikes at multiple refineries. MHF replacement will be much less disruptive, and the downtime for alkylation units at Torrance and Valero, Wilmington will be shorter. Both refineries employ MHF, claiming it is safe. But, as Congressman Ted Lieu, D-Torrance, says, we’ve been hoodwinked. An investigation by eight independent South Bay scientists proves MHF has no safety advantage compared to hydrofloruoric acid (HF). Recent conclusions by the U.S. Chemical Safety Board, the EPA and the South Coast Air Quality Management District are consistent with… Read full this story
- Modernization underway at Baku Oil Refinery
- Baku Oil Refinery’s modernization underway
- No-deal Brexit set to cause disruption for UK oil refineries
- New shale oil refinery to be located in Sillamäe or Auvere
- Drone attacks on Saudi Arabia oil refineries
- Fire safety moves 'threaten developments'
- Massive flare at Stanlow oil refinery caused by power cut
- Huge fire breaks out at Philadelphia oil refinery
- Morocco's sole oil refinery battles for survival
- Substandard oil damage to Mozyr Oil Refinery equipment at $20m
- Huge Explosion Rocks Oil Refinery in Spain Near Gibraltar
- Belarusian oil refinery Naftan strapped for quality oil
At oil refineries, cost of avoiding safety moves could be sky-high: Guest commentary have 288 words, post on www.presstelegram.com at August 30, 2017. This is cached page on CHUTEU. If you want remove this page, please contact us.