WASHINGTON (AP) — President Donald Trump was in the mood to celebrate after cutting a big deal with opposition Democrats. Joshing with Northeastern officials in the Cabinet Room, Trump hailed New York Democrat Andrew Cuomo as “my governor” and traded banter with Senate Democratic leader Chuck Schumer, another fellow New Yorker. “If you just dropped in from outer space, you wouldn’t know what the last eight months have been like,” said Rep. Peter King, R-N.Y., recalling the friendly exchanges between Trump and Schumer during the meeting with New York and New Jersey lawmakers. ADVERTISEMENT That would be the same Schumer whom the president had previously slammed as a “clown” and “Cryin’ Chuck.” And now? “In some ways it’s almost like they were completing each other’s sentences,” King said. On display at that chummy scene Thursday was the Trump who’s emerged in full this past week: Trump the independent. A president who spent months catering to the Republican conservative wing now appears unbound by ideology and untethered by party allegiances. It’s not a complete surprise to his fellow Republicans. They long have worried that Trump, a former Democrat, might shift with the political winds. But Trump’s overtures to Democrats have left… Read full this story
- Spoiler? Amash's 3rd-party presidential bid raises concerns
- Can Democrats Fix the Party?
- Kobach and Trump’s Spectacular Voter-Fraud Failure
- The Hill's Morning Report - Presented by Facebook - Trump predicts quick vaccine; Pence: I should have worn mask
- Trump says China made a 'horrible mistake' and tried to cover-up coronavirus outbreak, hours after Mike Pompeo claimed there was 'enormous evidence' that COVID-19 escaped a Wuhan lab
- Dan Gainor: Even anti-Trump NY Times wants Biden sexual assault allegation investigated – Bad news for Dems
- Biden assault allegation prompts GOP attacks, Dem worries
- Trump predicts the US will have a COVID-19 vaccine 'by the end of the year' and says Dems are motivated by politics and 'don't want to see a good result' as he continues to tout anti-malaria drug
- Donald Trump looms over divided Democrats in New Hampshire, stoking anxiety as Bernie Sanders surges
- The Hill's 12:30 Report: Trump slams media coverage of COVID-19
- Donald Trump Trolls Never Trumpers: Justin Amash Would Make ‘Wonderful Candidate’ for President
- Hillary Clinton is ‘proud’ to endorse Joe Biden and be part of his 2020 campaign as Dems line-up behind ex-VP
Trump makes nice with Dems, leaving his party confused have 384 words, post on apnews.com at September 10, 2017. This is cached page on CHUTEU. If you want remove this page, please contact us.