Two days after K.S. Sunil Kumar received a promotion, Human Resources phoned him up and asked him to resign. This happened in April, just as Kumar was beginning his ninth year at Tech Mahindra, one of the giants in India’s IT services industry. He worked in engineering services, where he designed components and tools for aerospace firms in North America and Europe. They’d send over specs—the materials available to construct a hinge, and the kind of load it had to bear, and the cost at which it had to be manufactured—and he mocked up options with the help of software. He was a foot soldier in the army of Indian engineers to whom work is outsourced from the West, so that it can be finished at a fraction of the expense. Sometimes he left his base, Tech Mahindra’s Bangalore campus, to serve stints at clients’ offices abroad: in Montreal, Belfast, or Stockholm.When his employment was terminated, Kumar was earning close to $17,000 annually, a nice middle-class salary in India. Around the same time, Tech Mahindra announced profits for the previous financial year of $419 million, on revenue of $4.35 billion. (Tech Mahindra did not respond to a request for comment… Read full this story
- Hawaii's Kilauea volcano has experts warily eyeing volcanic peaks along West Coast
- As industry warily eyes the new Trump plan, we survey the corridor’s pressing road and port challenges
- Air India Might Shut Down If Divestment Bid Fails: CAPA India
- TECNO Mobile launches AI-powered camera smartphone in India
- Government not to sell Air India, if bids are below minimum floor price: Official
- Panic buttons, AI and drones: police plan for women’s safety in Mumbai
- Government Might Not Sell Air India If Bids Below Floor Price
- Cabinet approves MoU between India, France in renewable energy
- BJP eyes majority in bellwether poll
- Latest fatality blamed on Nipah virus in India’s Kerala state brings death toll to 13
- The mystery of India's 'killer dogs'
- India, Netherlands decide to boost ties
India Warily Eyes AI have 327 words, post on www.technologyreview.com at October 23, 2017. This is cached page on CHUTEU. If you want remove this page, please contact us.