Story highlights During ISIS’ occupation of Mosul, many items were forbidden from being sold. Consequently, shops from CD stores to barbers were forced to close. Shopkeepers are now reopening their stores as life returns to normal in the city. Mosul, Iraq (CNN)In June 2014, ISIS drove Iraqi forces out of Mosul, and took control of the vibrant city of 2.5 million people located on the River Tigris. It was one of the terror group’s most strategic wins. In the brutal months that followed, Iraq’s second-largest city transformed into a wasteland. Buildings collapsed, residents fled and many innocent lives perished. In addition to the humanitarian crisis taking place, an economic crisis also loomed. JUST WATCHED Drone footage shows Mosul’s devastation Replay More Videos … MUST WATCH Drone footage shows Mosul’s devastation 02:27 Many shops under the terror group’s new laws were deemed beyond the pale. Liquor stores, barbers and even toy shops were closed down. Others were shelled to pieces. Read More Then in October 2016, Iraqi Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi announced the mission to retake the key city. For the next 9 months, the battle for Mosul raged. In July this year, al-Abadi declared Mosul free from ISIS. As Iraqis… Read full this story
- Best baby shower gift ideas: The perfect presents you need to buy
- In a blow to Trump, his social media exile continues, with Facebook ban upheld for now
- Chewy (CHWY) Q4 2020 Earnings Call Transcript
- Covid in Wales: What do the latest lockdown rules say?
- What Happened Inside Ed Buck’s Apartment?
- Text of President Biden's Address to a Joint Session of Congress
- Full Text: President Joe Biden’s Address to Congress
- Read President Joe Biden's first address to Congress
- Joe Biden Calls for 'Once in a Generation' Investment in America. Read Full Text of Speech
- Ralph Lauren’s $13 Billion Bet
- Shoppers flock to luxury goods over holidays
- 36 fun & productive things to do during lockdown 2021
What can you buy in Mosul? ISIS ban on barbers, clothes and toys is lifted have 310 words, post on edition.cnn.com at October 12, 2017. This is cached page on CHUTEU. If you want remove this page, please contact us.