0 Have your say Almost one in four children finishing primary school in Leeds are classified as obese, new data has revealed. Statistics from Public Health England show that 19 per cent of Year 6 pupils were declared obese, between April 2016 and March 2017, and four per cent severely obese.And 14.4 per cent of Year 6 children were declared overweight.That means on average 38 per cent of youngsters in Leeds are unhealthily overweight when they start secondary school.And despite school meals getting healthier, the number of obese 10 and 11-year-olds in Year 6 has risen by nine per cent over the last five years.The figures are from Public Health England’s National Child Measurement Programme.Last financial year, 812 of Leeds’s reception age children were declared obese, while over the same time period 1,499 in Year 6 hit the same unhealthy weight.The obesity rate for 10 to 11-year-olds is more than double that of four to five-year-olds.Caroline Cerny, lead for the Obesity Health Alliance, a coalition of more than 40 organisations that have joined together to prevent obesity related ill health, described the figures as “startling.”She said: “These latest figures show childhood obesity has risen over the last two years, with… Read full this story
- Childhood obesity is getting worse, study says
- Childhood obesity: America's 'true national crisis' measured state by state
- Moms can put an end to childhood obesity
- Parents protest against academy trust running Chingford primary school
- How does childhood obesity work?
- Risk of obesity half in children of women with healthy body weight: Study
- EDITORIAL: Addressing the challenge of Childhood Obesity
- Is technology behind the rise in childhood obesity?
- Mom's lifestyle could be key to childhood obesity, study suggests
- Badminton star visits Welwyn school for sports awards
- Five Healthy Habits for Mothers That Could Cut Their Child's Risk of Becoming Obese: Harvard Study
- Manor Park children mark Refugee Week with concert of songs sung in Hebrew, Bengali, Arabic, Polish and Yiddish
Childhood obesity on rise in Leeds: Almost one in four children leaving primary school classed as obese have 309 words, post on www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk at January 23, 2018. This is cached page on CHUTEU. If you want remove this page, please contact us.