Growing population a challenge; province turns focus to private sector 0SHARES Share Tweet Email LAHORE: Economic managers of Punjab have termed the increasing population of the province one of the biggest challenges to achieving the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs). As the latest census puts the provincial population at 110 million, it is estimated that by 2025, the population size will go beyond 125 million, equal to the combined population of the United Kingdom and France. Feeding so many people by providing them equal employment opportunities and basic necessities with limited resources is a tough task which has to be tackled by successive governments. In this regard, allocations made under the provincial Annual Development Plan (ADP) are the best parameters to judge the response. The ADP, which was worth Rs20.8 billion in 2000-01, soared to Rs635 billion in 2017-18, a growth of 2,954% in 17 years, the highest compared with other provinces. National Development: ‘PML-N renders services for prosperity’ For the first time, the Punjab Planning and Development Department has started documenting the initiatives, results and challenges to better estimate the future needs. In its 2017 report, it stated that the public-sector investment programme worth $5 billion is not sufficient to meet… Read full this story
- Residue to riches: Stubble no trouble for Punjab’s change agents
- GBP group to invest Rs 600 crore to build 32-acre township in Zirakpur
- Here is how Tata Motors plans to move out of debt?
- Nigeria remains best place to invest in the world —Dangote
- Kiwi Property puts $170m Palmerston North's The Plaza Shopping Centre up for sale
- Cabinet may take up new disinvestment policy soon
- We expect Essar Steel, Bhushan Power & Steel to be resolved this fiscal: Sunil Mehta, MD, PNB
- Here is how Tata Motors paves the way out from debt?
- Bring in road congestion charges, says big business to Govt
- VIETNAM NEWS OCTOBER 31
- Everything we know so far about Oracle not actually buying TikTok
- Performing on a digital stage
Punjab’s $5b investment plan insufficient have 316 words, post on tribune.com.pk at January 20, 2018. This is cached page on CHUTEU. If you want remove this page, please contact us.