Shivangini Singh with Robert Swan and Barney Swan during 13 day Antarctica expedition. PHOTO from The Statesman/Asia News Network The global warming is not only causing melting of glaciers in the uninhabited cold desert of Antarctica but it is also gradually pushing several living organisms towards extinction. This is what experts observed during the 13-day Antarctica Expedition hosted by Robert Swan, Climate Force and The Explorer's Passage. The expedition was attended by over 90 individuals from across the world, including students, climate change specialists, UN officials, scientists, actors and adventure enthusiasts to generate leadership for climate change. Shivangini Singh, who was part of the expedition, told The Statesman: "We observed that the populations of the Adelie and Chinstrap penguin species are currently declining while the population of Gentoo species is increasing." And it wasn't always the case in the past as the temperature would be a lot cooler earlier, with abundance of adequate food source, Krill, the main food source of Adelie and Chinstrap penguins. "The lack of food is resulting in Adelie and Chinstrap penguin as the rising mercury had reduced their habitat," said Singh, adding this had forced population of penguins to interior areas. On the other hand,… Read full this story
- Global warming over the last 150 years due to the build-up of greenhouse gases in the atmosphere has upended over six MILLENNIA of climate cooling, study reveals
- Which sharks could come to British waters as sea temperatures rise amid global warming?
- Mass extinction 359 million years ago may have been caused by 'one or more stars going supernova' just 65 light years from Earth
- Extinction Rebellion: Climate protest despite coronavirus pandemic
- Supernova Explosions May Have Caused Mass Extinction on Earth 350 Million Years Ago
- Fossil egg discoveries, including one in Antarctica, show dinosaurs and marine reptiles laid soft-shell eggs
- World's largest residential ship that is home to around 200 wealthy passengers is targeted by protesters linked to Extinction Rebellion while docked off the Cornish coast
- Humanity ‘near point of no return’ as top MIT professor warns of just 5 ways to prevent total human extinction
- The 'Human-Caused' Sixth Mass Extinction Is 'Likely Accelerating,' Study Suggests
- EXCLUSIVE: Sustainable luxury! Aerial shots reveal Hollywood's most glamorous eco-friendly homes including Dr. Dre and Katy Perry's solar-paneled mansions, Jessica Alba's recycled furniture made of organic materials and Drake's waterfall and grotto
- 'If it gets me, it gets me': the town where residents live alongside polar bears
- GLOBAL MARKETS-Europe limps higher after China markets jump
‘Global warming pushing living organisms in Antarctica towards extinction’ have 406 words, post on newsinfo.inquirer.net at April 19, 2018. This is cached page on CHUTEU. If you want remove this page, please contact us.