EAST ST. LOUIS • After dozens of students walked out in protest, the East St. Louis School Board voted unanimously Monday to reinstate the boys track season, which was canceled after a brawl in the stands at a meet last week.The altercation started in the stands. But a “significant number” of members of the track team joined in, said Superintendent Arthur Culver. Culver said he made the “difficult decision” to cancel the track season because he was worried for safety at future track meets.The School Board discussed the issue in closed session, then voted at an unscheduled special meeting Monday to overturn Culver’s decision. The board room was packed with more than 130 people including students, clergy, activists, alumni and other community members who came out to protest the cancellation.”The board felt that not every student should be punished for what a few did,” said Board President Kinnis Williams after the meeting.However, Williams added that because the East St. Louis School District operates under a consent decree with the state, the state superintendent could choose to override the board’s decision.That didn’t stop the meeting room from erupting into cheers.”It was relief. I don’t even know what to say now,” said track team… Read full this story
- East Baton Rouge School Board extends contract for Inspire Charter Academy
- East Baton Rouge School District votes to extend three charter schools; future of fourth uncertain
- Lessons we should (and should not) learn from the 2019 St. Louis Blues
- San Antonio area school board races crowd May 4 ballot
- St. Joseph's girls, Episcopal's boys take home state indoor track titles
- Looking for an emotional lift? Check out the last couple of weeks in high school sports
- Check out the results of Saturday's Allstate Sugar Bowl LHSAA Indoor Track meet
- Voting by mail taking over from polling places in state
- Hurtful histories: 8 Bay Area monuments, school names that have come under fire
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus on Journey From ‘Seinfeld’ to ‘Veep’
- Louisiana's Special School District has a new leader; 'We have to change the culture'
- MLB 2020 player projections: Each team's most interesting forecast heading into the new season
East St. Louis School Board votes to save track season have 348 words, post on www.stltoday.com at May 14, 2018. This is cached page on CHUTEU. If you want remove this page, please contact us.