US President Donald Trump has announced the White House flag will be returned to half-staff, after critics attacked his response to the death of Republican senator John McCain.Flags at some federal buildings were fully raised on Monday, earlier than would normally be expected after such an event.Mr Trump tweeted his condolences to the McCain family, but has not offered a tribute to the veteran’s life.The pair had a fractious relationship.Mr Trump appeared to repeatedly ignore media questions about the flag before announcing that it would be lowered again.But on Monday afternoon, he said in a statement: “Despite our differences on policy and politics, I respect Senator John McCain’s service to our country and, in his honour, have signed a proclamation to fly the flag of the United States at half-staff until the day of his interment.” On Monday night, Mr Trump spoke about McCain during a dinner for evangelical leaders, saying “our hearts and prayers” are going to the late senator’s family “and we very much appreciate everything that Senator McCain has done for our country”. Reality Check: When should the US flag fly at half mast? The angry politics of McCain’s death Five times McCain clashed with Trump Mr… Read full this story
- Trump holds private funeral service for brother Robert Trump at White House
- Theresa May to meet Donald Trump at White House next week
- Kellyanne Conway to leave Trump's White House 'to focus on family'
- You're fired! Sackings and resignations in Donald Trump's White House
- John McCain the Republican vs. John McCain the Patriot
- 'She has no right to wreck our history': Former NYT reporter in xenophobic Twitter meltdown at 'foreigner' Melania's new White House garden - but then claims his 'complex point' has been 'misunderstood'
- China brands Trump, Pompeo and White House adviser Navarro as the 'lying trio' as it intensifies anti-US campaign due to coronavirus tensions
- David Foster Wallace on John McCain: ‘The Weasel, Twelve Monkeys and the Shrub’
- 13 Days in July: The Trump White House’s crucible
- John McCain, Legendary Republican Senator, Dead at 81
- Trump to invite Putin to Washington, DC this year: White House
- John McCain Makes Nice With Australia After Trump’s ‘Unnecessary’ Dispute
John McCain death: Trump lowers White House flag after criticism have 362 words, post on www.bbc.co.uk at August 28, 2018. This is cached page on CHUTEU. If you want remove this page, please contact us.