Fans of the Arizona Cardinals will get their first real look at the team’s rookie quarterback Josh Rosen on Saturday in a face-off with the Los Angeles Chargers. It’ll be each team’s first preseason matchup.
Still, it’s quite possible that when Week 1 rolls around, the Cardinals will trot out veteran Sam Bradford as the starter. He has described developing chemistry with future Hall of Fame wideout Larry Fitzgerald.
“It just seems like if you get the ball around him where he can get his hands on it, he’s going to make the play,” Bradford said, via the Cardinals’ team website. “You do have to train yourself sometimes. He looks covered, but we see it on film and it’s like, ‘Hey, just give Larry a chance.’ More times than not, he’s going to come down with it. It’s just developing that trust—putting it out there and allowing him to go get it.”
Wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald of the Arizona Cardinals walks off the field during the second half of an NFL game against the New York Giants at the University of Phoenix Stadium on December 24, 2017 in Glendale, Arizona. The Cardinals are set to face the San Diego Chargers in a preseason game on Saturday. Christian Petersen/Getty Images
Rosen, who was drafted No. 10 in the NFL draft, has developed a reputation for being cerebral—there was even a weird, mini-scandal when his college coach said he asked “why?” a lot.
“I ask a lot of questions and the whole ‘why’ thing … It’s the dumbest thing I’ve ever heard,” Rosen told KMVP-FM. If I was a teacher or I was a coach … I would either, one, think (a student or player) had everything down cold, or two, be very concerned that he’s like disinterested. I would want my student or my player—if I was a coach or teacher—to ask questions and figure out what we’re doing.”
The Chargers—while full of young talent like pass-rusher Joey Bosa, cornerback Casey Hayward and running back Melvin Gordon—will once again be led by Philip Rivers, their 36-year-old, seven-time Pro Bowler. Hayward, a Pro Bowler himself, said Rivers has been on point in practice.
“I’ve been here, this is going on my third year—and I’m not sure how he was before I was here but he’s sharp,” he said, according to the Chargers’ website. “He’s been so sharp this camp. He hasn’t been missing. He’s been throwing all dimes. There’s been some plays where I’ve been getting the ball caught on me some—and like, I’m in great position and he throws the receiver open and it’s been crazy.”
Here’s the info for the game so you can see the action for yourself.
Start time: 10 p.m. ET
TV channel: The game will not be televised nationally. Locally it’ll be on Channel 12 KPNX for Arizona and KABC-TV (ABC 7) for Los Angeles.
- Wales vs Tonga FREE rugby: TV channel, live stream, kick-off time and teams for Autumn international
- Ireland vs USA FREE rugby: TV channel, live stream, kick-off time and team news for autumn international
- Fury vs Wilder: Live streaming, TV channel, start time and tickets for world heavyweight title fight
- Fury vs Wilder: Live stream, TV channel, start time, undercard info, fight record and weigh-in results
- Pakistan vs New Zealand: Live streaming, TV channel, time, team news for cricket second Test
- Besiktas vs Genk: Live stream, TV channel, team news and kick-off time for Europa League clash
- Besiktas vs Genk: Live stream, TV channel, team news and kick-off time for the Europa League match
- Pakistan vs New Zealand: Live streaming, TV channel, time and team news for 1st T20 cricket clash
- Pakistan vs New Zealand: Live streaming, TV channel, time and team news for 1st ODI cricket clash
- Pakistan vs New Zealand: Live streaming, TV channel, time and team news for 3rd ODI cricket clash
- Pakistan vs New Zealand: Live streaming, TV channel, time and team news for 2nd ODI cricket match
- Pakistan vs New Zealand: Live streaming, TV channel, time and team news for the first Test