Asda has been awarded a top accolade in an annual Christmas mince pie taste test that has seen Waitrose’s efforts described as “beige-tasting” and devoid of “notable flavours”. An expert panel gathered by Which? tasted more than 100 premium mince pies, awarding Asda’s Extra Special mince pies and Fortnum & Mason’s Traditional mince pie its Best Buy accolade. Fortnum & Mason’s pies, costing £10.95 for six, secured the top score of the test at 74% and plaudits from the judges, who declared them a “surefire winner” and “rammed with mincemeat”. Asda’s effort costing £1.50 for six pies won a 71% score from the judges, who noted their “subtle spicing” and “lovely buttery aroma”. Judges also praised Lidl’s pies, costing £1.79 for six, for their “pleasantly fruity taste” and awarded them an overall score of 69%. However, Which? said the judges felt the standard of mince pies had slipped in recent years, believing a major contributing factor was the rising cost of ingredients including dried fruit and butter, which had led supermarkets to use cheaper ingredients to keep prices low. Waitrose fell to the bottom of the ranking with a score of 51% for its Waitrose 1 All Butter mince pies,… Read full this story
- Festive Taste Test: Which supermarket mince pies are the best?
- Sainsbury's mince pies contain twice as much sugar as Waitrose's - with almost all women's daily sugar intake in just one pie
- Marks and Spencer mince pies rated Britain’s best in blind taste test
- Waitrose reveals chocolate mince pies as shops gear up for Christmas food fight SIX months early
- Shoppers mock Tesco and Morrisons for selling mince pies in September…but one supermarket sells them all year round
- Supermarket Asda is demanding ID in order to buy mince pies – because they include brandy and port
- A Swindon cafe is now selling deep fried mince pies – months after celebrating Easter with battered SWEETS
- Asda launches vegan mince pies in supermarket first - and they're cheaper than the traditional ones
- Are Aldi’s mince pies REALLY boozy enough to warrant them demanding to see you ID before letting you try them?
- You can now get a mince pie croissant just in time for Christmas
- Asda asking shoppers for ID to sample mince pies containing a 'dash' of alcohol
- Asda sales rise helped by vegan-friendly mince pies
Best mince pies to buy this Christmas 2018 as ASDA thrash Waitrose have 377 words, post on www.mirror.co.uk at November 15, 2018. This is cached page on CHUTEU. If you want remove this page, please contact us.