By Kevin Keane Published 7 November 2018 comments Comments Share close Share page Copy link About sharing Some salmon farms could close because of tough new rules being proposed by Scotland’s environmental watchdog. Sepa wants to reduce the amount of liquid medicines, animal waste and uneaten food from fish farms which are polluting the marine environment. It has concluded a major study which raised concerns about chemical treatments for parasitic sea lice. The study found the chemicals had a longer-lasting environmental impact than previously understood. New restrictions will limit their future use and updated environmental modelling could mean some sites will have to relocate to deeper waters with stronger tides. A dedicated team will be formed to improve monitoring of fish farms, with an increase in the number of unannounced inspections. Salmon farm facts In 2017, production of Atlantic salmon increased to 189,707 tonnes. The highest ever level of production recorded in Scotland. Marine salmon production was undertaken by 12 businesses farming 226 active sites, stretching down the west coast of Scotland as well as on Orkney and Shetland. Atlantic Salmon production reaches record high in Scotland The total number of staff in marine salmon production in 2017 was 1,431…. Read full this story
- SEC Advances Stricter Executive-Pay Disclosure Rules
- The Future of Farming, Part 3: The Business of Urban Ag and CEA
- Pokemon Go CP Farming Guide – Get Highest CP Pokemon, How to Power Up Pokemon
- PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds (PUBGs) Guide – Finding Loot, Best Weapons, PC Tweaks, Vehicles Locations, Farming BPs
- One MMORPG to Rule Them All?
- The past, present and future of Battlegrounds - according to PlayerUnknown
- Of Horseshoes, Hand Grenades and Broadband Advertising
- Assassin's Creed 3: The Tyranny of King Washington - Episode 1 review
- Exclusive: Def Jam Rapstar Hands on
- In-Depth: Your Survival Guide to the iPad’s Launch Lineup
- A Tiny Fraction of Oceans Could Satisfy The World's Fish Demand
- EU Trade Agreement Could Hit Indian Generic Drugs
Stricter rules could close salmon farms have 303 words, post on www.bbc.co.uk at November 7, 2018. This is cached page on CHUTEU. If you want remove this page, please contact us.