I often find myself writing in defense of Russia and Russians, then vowing to keep away from the subject for a while. It never lasts, because some coverage is so idiotic, I can’t help but start angrily bashing away at my keyboard. I’ve noticed how the media’s framing of Russia affects the way it’s viewed for some years, although obviously it’s more pronounced now post-Skripal. I personally have no desire to defend anything governments do or say to each other, but there is a fallout which colors how people and cultures are seen, and that’s what really annoys me. Russians are not all spies, oligarchs or any of the other cliches. Shortly after I moved to Moscow in 2006 I came home for Christmas, a bag packed with decoratively-wrapped bottles of vodka and matryoshka dolls, fresh from the duty free to hand out as presents. My grandad, curious about my life over in Russia asked me: “So, what do you do when you’re not working, they don’t have restaurants and bars like us do they?” I explained to him that there were plenty of places you could go if you really looked: one chain called Starbucks was very popular,… Read full this story
- Former CNN Anchor Blasts ‘Media Disguised As Journalism,’ Says Cable News ‘Is Where Facts Often Go To Die’
- Jailed Russian opposition figure Alexei Navalny 'is moved to a penal colony from Moscow jail to serve his two-year prison term'
- Citizens United rolls out anti-Biden campaign to 'fight back' against agenda, defend Trump's record
- ‘Gunda’ Director Victor Kossakovsky On Empathy For Farm Animals And Finding His Porcine “Meryl Streep”
- All animals suffer, not just cows
- Why Ron Johnson's fringe conspiracy theories are so alarming
- ABC Upfronts Presentation 2014 Live-Blog: Network Touts “Passion Projects” And “Raw” ‘American Crime’
- America's White Supremacist Problem Risks Feeding Next Global Terrorism Wave
- Pass or fail? Sky News experts give their verdicts on Obama's era
Stupidity of some mainstream media coverage has me defending Russians… again! have 323 words, post on www.rt.com at November 23, 2018. This is cached page on CHUTEU. If you want remove this page, please contact us.