The political opposition that prompted Amazon to walk away from building a corporate headquarters in New York City featured a touchstone of the progressives’ economic agenda: ending tax policies that unfairly reward and pamper the wealthy. But it also exposed a political vulnerability, leaving unclear what alternative strategy they are offering to encourage growth and create the thousands of jobs that Amazon promised to bring to the city. The clash has consequences far beyond New York, going to the heart of a national debate that is likely to dominate the 2020 presidential race: What is the best way to spread prosperity? As Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo fumed that some of his fellow Democrats put “the state’s economic future” at risk, others inside and outside the party saw the scuttled project as evidence that the left doesn’t understand how to generate growth. In a tweet, Lloyd Blankfein, senior chairman of Goldman Sachs, lashed out at progressive Democrats, labeling them as both “anti-progress” and “anti-Democratic.” Those views feed into a powerful, long-held narrative popularized by Ronald Reagan that Democratic policymakers had — as then-Senator Barack Obama put it in 2006 — become “more obsessed with slicing the economic pie than with growing… Read full this story
- Amazon Abandons HQ2 Campus in New York
- Case For Integrated Socio-Economic Development Of The Yoruba Nation
- The Amazon Tax - Bad For Us
- Economic Stimulus Shows Us a Good Thing About Recession - How Will You Spend Your Tax Rebate?
- America - The New Mexico?
- The Quiet Revolution - How Social Progress Became An Economic Imperative
- True Wealth And Economics 101
- How to Survive Tough Economic Times
- Gas Prices and Housing - Where to Buy a Home and Live During an Economic Downturn
- 7 Myths About Marketing in Economic Downturns
- Free Markets and Our Economic Crisis - Making Sense of the Nonsense
- Economic Empowerment of Women
In Amazon Fight, Progressives Showed What They Want: A New Economic Agenda have 299 words, post on www.nytimes.com at February 16, 2019. This is cached page on CHUTEU. If you want remove this page, please contact us.