Victor Hugo’s “The Hunchback of Notre-Dame” shot to the top of the Amazon bestseller list Tuesday as firefighters damped down the embers of the blaze which ravaged the ancient cathedral. The original French version of the gothic novel, “Notre-Dame de Paris”, became the fastest selling book in France and is also a number one bestseller worldwide in English in two sub-categories of historical fiction. The Disney animated movie version of the story also rocketed into the top 10 of family films. When Hugo began his sprawling 11-volume tale in 1829, Notre Dame — the “majestic and sublime edifice” which he adored — was crumbling and neglected. But his epic about the tragic fate of the Gypsy girl Esmeralda who captures the heart of Captain Phoebus, the poet Pierre Gringoire, Archdeacon Frollo — and most of all the hunchback Quasimodo — helped mobilise the mammoth 19th-century restoration of the monument. One passage, from chapter four of the penultimate volume of the novel, was widely quoted on social media as a prophetic description of Monday’s fire, which tore through its roof, sending its spire crashing down into the nave. “All eyes were turned to the top of the church,” Hugo wrote as… Read full this story
- Civil Rights History: Richard Wright tops bestseller list
- Sixteen years ago she was a graduate, now she's back to run Notre Dame de Sion
- Notre Dame 15, Patrick Taylor 0: Pioneers get off to fast start with 13-run first inning
- 49ers select Notre Dame OT Mike McGlinchey
- Virginia men’s lacrosse trounced by Notre Dame in ACC tournament championship game
- Top Recruit Chooses Notre Dame, UConn Women Focused Elsewhere
- 2018 NFL Draft: Notre Dame’s Mike McGlinchey too big for Dolphins to ignore
- 'Great cities save their great buildings;' Group pleads to stop demolition of Worcester's Notre Dame church
- Colts draft nasty Notre Dame guard Quenton Nelson
- Notre Dame Club of Harrisburg 'heartbroken' over small-plane crash that killed 2
- Who will be coaching Alabama when it plays Notre Dame in 2028?
- Bishop England's Leo Albano signs as walk-on with Notre Dame
'Hunchback of Notre-Dame' tops bestseller lists after fire have 330 words, post on en.rfi.fr at April 16, 2019. This is cached page on CHUTEU. If you want remove this page, please contact us.