Gay rights and religion are at the heart of a simmering feud between Vice President Mike Pence and potential Democratic presidential candidate Pete Buttigieg. The 37-year-old mayor of South Bend, Indiana, who is openly gay, criticized Pence Friday for his opposition to gay marriage and gay rights, which Pence claims is informed by his Christian faith. “I don’t have a problem with religion, I’m religious too. I have a problem with religion being used as a justification to harm people,” he said on “Ellen.” “I hope that Pete will offer more to the American people than attacks on my Christian faith or attacks on the president as he seeks the highest office in the land,” Pence said. The vice president said he doesn’t believe in discriminating against anyone. “I think Pete’s quarrel is with the First Amendment. All of us in this country have the right to our religious beliefs,” Pence said. Last month, Buttigieg began raising questions about the vice president, whom he worked with when Pence was governor of Indiana. “How could he allow himself to become the cheerleader of the porn star presidency? Is is that he — is that he stopped believing in scripture when he… Read full this story
- Mandy Moore hits the trail for Pete Buttigieg in final push ahead of Iowa caucuses
- Pete Buttigieg now attending South Carolina MLK Day events after criticism from Democrats
- Why Don’t Black Voters Support Pete Buttigieg? That Might Be the Wrong Question.
- Pete Buttigieg picks up the pace in Iowa as impeachment keeps others away
- Pete Buttigieg Calls Mike Pence 'Cheerleader of the Porn Star Presidency,' Says Trump Should Be Defeated by Election, Not Impeachment
- 'This is truly intervention time': Mandy Moore rallies Iowa voters for Pete Buttigieg as he admits 'This is Us' has him 'bawling'
- Pete Buttigieg says he'll use 'every moment available' to campaign during impeachment even as presidential rivals prepare for jury duty – and charges Senate GOP thinks it's 'okay' to seek foreign interference
- Pete Buttigieg Praised for Torn Chick-fil-A Outlook: 'I Do Not Approve of Their Politics. I Kind of Approve of Their Chicken'
- Pete Buttigieg Woos Al Sharpton over Lunch in New York
- Alice Waters, Bay Area chefs collab for pricey Pete Buttigieg 'culinary experience'
- ‘This Is Us’ Star Mandy Moore Stumps for Pete Buttigieg: ‘Our Country Is in Crisis’ Under Trump
- Pete Buttigieg Tries To Sway Undecided Voters At N.H. Town Hall
Pete Buttigieg confronts Pence about religion ahead of 2020 bid have 399 words, post on www.cbsnews.com at April 12, 2019. This is cached page on CHUTEU. If you want remove this page, please contact us.