Josh Hawley views democracy as little more than a vehicle for culture war. Photo: Carolyn Kaster/AP The recent brouhaha in right-wing political and cultural circles about civility, freedom, and other “liberal” values cherished by pre-Trump conservatives may appear to be a form of early-summer light entertainment, wherein fractious intellectuals and gerund-grinders spar before engaging in the serious partisan work of the 2020 elections. Ramesh Ponnuru and Ross Douthat have both suggested there’s too much heat emanating from this war of words, adding to the impression that it’s just a continuation of the right’s awkward efforts to adjust its ideology to the erratic views of its new warrior king. But as New York’s Andrew Sullivan explains, there’s something quite serious going on in the angry attacks on liberal values launched by the New York Post’s Sohrab Ahmari, the chief perpetrator of the fight: Ahmari makes the case for Trump the same way that Michael Anton did: All that matters right now is the culture war between good and evil, the West and the rest. Since this is an emergency, and the Godless enemy is on the march, niceties, such as being a stickler for the rule of law, or rhetorical civility, are… Read full this story
- Loot Box Ban Bill To Be Introduced By U.S. Senator Josh Hawley
- Moment right-wing activist, 26, with a swastika necklace is pelted with eggs in Manhattan months after he was attacked for wearing a 'MAGA' hat and sustained a broken nose
- Trump voters carry Republicans to victory in Senate, while House teeters on edge
- Florida passes Amendment 4, restoring voting rights to convicted felons
- Trump pats Putin on the back and chats with smiling Saudi Crown Prince - the man accused of ordering the assassination of Jamal Khashoggi - who stands in the front row for 'family photo' at G20 summit
- U.S. federal judge gives ex-Trump campaign manager Paul Manafort 73 months
- It Is Possible To Do Loot Boxes Right: EA
- Democrats get ready to ram through next phase of Donald Trump impeachment inquiry in face of Republican objections as he demands his party 'stand together and defender the leader' against 'smears'
- Boris Johnson intervenes over US diplomat's wife: PM telephones Donald Trump to urge he 'reconsiders' decision to give diplomatic immunity woman who fled Britain after hit-and-run crash that left 19-year-old dead
- 'Face like thunder': how the mood turned sour at Trump's first G20
- Harry Dunn's mother slams 'oafish and insulting' Donald Trump after he defends US spy's wife who killed her son in crash because it's difficult 'driving on wrong side of road' - then flashes note revealing she WON'T face justice in Britain
- Donald Trump is branded a 'disgrace' who 'undermines' the Special Relationship between the UK and the US by furious British politicians after he refuses to send diplomat's wife back to face justice after she killed a teen in a road accident
Josh Hawley Could Be the Face of the Post-Trump Right have 477 words, post on nymag.com at June 5, 2019. This is cached page on CHUTEU. If you want remove this page, please contact us.