After securing an agreement from EU leaders on filling the bloc’s top jobs, European Council President Donald Tusk didn’t head to Disneyland Paris to celebrate. Instead, he took a victory lap even more joyful for the first eastern European to hold a presidency in Brussels: He jetted off to the former Soviet Union. While other leaders engage in public hand-wringing about the purpose and fitness of their Union, such as French President Emmanuel Macron clamoring for a major conference on the Future of Europe or Hungarian Prime Minister Viktor Orbán demanding a return to Christian values, Tusk has clung to his own vision of the EU as a beacon of freedom and democracy for parts of the world where it was long in short supply. At stops this week in Ukraine, Azerbaijan, Armenia and finally in Georgia on Thursday, the former Polish prime minister reveled in the EU’s continuing efforts to build closer ties with its eastern neighbors and directed some pointedly sharp words at Moscow. “The collapse of the Soviet Union was NOT the greatest geopolitical catastrophe of the century,” Tusk tweeted from the Black Sea coastal city of Batumi, directly rebutting a remark once made by Russian President Vladimir… Read full this story
- The Latest: SKorean leader has post-summit engagement plans
- Trump Looks to Regroup After Disappointing Summit, Cohen Barrage
- AZ Memo; ASU grad cannabis leader, water summit and drought, Prescott loop hike
- Trump Has 'Done Damage That the Soviets Would Have Dreamt Of,' Former German Foreign Minister Says
- North Korea’s Top Men and Women: Meet Kim Jong Un’s Sister and Other Aides at Donald Trump Summit in Vietnam
- GUEST COMMENTARY: Trump-Kim summit ends in no deal, but diplomacy is a long process
- Trump, Kim summit collapses amid failure to reach dealYou may also be interested in...
- Will Donald Trump and Kim Jong Un Be the Unlikely Duo to End the Cold War? Vietnam Could Be Stage for Peace
- The Latest: SKorea says Trump regrets collapse of Kim summit
- The Latest: NK state media says summit deepened trust
- Will Hurd Has Defied Both Liberals and Donald Trump. Is He the Future of the GOP, or a Party of One?
- U.S. envoy, South Korean official discuss 2nd Trump-Kim summit
Donald Tusk’s post-summit, post-Soviet victory tour have 369 words, post on www.politico.eu at July 11, 2019. This is cached page on CHUTEU. If you want remove this page, please contact us.