THESSALONIKI: Six people died and at least 23 were injured as a fierce storm tore through a beachfront in one of Greece’s top tourist areas, terrifying thousands of holidaymakers caught in the open, authorities said Thursday (Jul 11). Six tourists including two children were killed – two each from the Czech Republic, Russia and Romania – in the northern region of Halkidiki, near Greece’s second city Thessaloniki, in the storms late Wednesday. There were reports on Thursday that a seventh body had been recovered, but they have not yet been confirmed. “There was panic, people were howling and running to hide inside,” said Haris Lazaridis, owner of a tavern where a 54-year-old woman from Romania and her son were killed when the roof caved in. “For five minutes it was hellish,” Lazaridis told AFP. He added that more than 100 people were sheltering under the roof when it collapsed. In an emergency briefing, government spokesman Stelios Petsas on Thursday said the area had been hit by winds of more than 100 km an hour. Twenty-three people were still receiving treatment in nearby hospitals, including a 72-year-old woman in critical condition, he said. Most of them are tourists, Petsas said, declining to… Read full this story
- As India temperatures in northern India near 50 C, 47 die in storms
- 2 killed as powerful rainstorms lash France
- Remembering when Tropical Storm Allison flooded Houston
- Six persons including four militants killed in South Kashmir gunfight
- How to say goodbye to the Bay Area: What I'll miss the most and my biggest regrets
- Storm Alberto: Thousands evacuated after mudslides leave North Carolina dam in danger of 'imminent failure'
- Flash floods in France claim two more lives with more storms to come
- Greek island faces stinking summer waste crisis
- South Africa: Only a Matter of Time Before Final Suspect in Sadia Sukhraj Killing Is Caught
- Africa: Ethiopia Begins Issuing Online Visas for Tourists Starting June 1
- India storms: Extreme weather kills 54 as strong winds bring down trees, homes and power lines
- Liberia: Gunmen Storm Deputy Defense Minister's Residence
Fierce storms tear through Greek tourist area, killing six have 326 words, post on www.channelnewsasia.com at July 11, 2019. This is cached page on CHUTEU. If you want remove this page, please contact us.