File photo of whale hunting boats in Norway. Photo: Pierre-Henry Deshayes/AFP Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro posted spectacular – but misleading – whale hunt images on Twitter in response to Norway’s decision to halt its forest protection subsidies. “Look at the killing of whales sponsored by Norway,” Bolsonaro wrote on Twitter on Monday. The post includes a video and photographs of a spectacular whale hunt, where mammals in the shallow waters of a bay are slaughtered by people wading on shore, armed with hooked knives. The whales’ blood turns the waters red. However, the images, reportedly taken on May 29th in Norway, illustrate a “grind”, a type of pilot whale hunt practised exclusively in the Faroe Islands – a Danish territory in the North Atlantic. Norway is one of the few countries in the world that authorizes commercial whaling, but the whales are hunted individually, at sea from a ship, and with grenade-mounted harpoons. “We can confirm that the video/the photos are not from Norway,” the Norwegian fisheries ministry told AFP in an email. “Our whale hunt takes place from ships at sea,” he said, arguing that the Norwegian practice was “sustainable”. Bolsonaro was ridiculed on social media for the mix-up…. Read full this story
- 'We must retaliate': Acting Intelligence Committee Chair Marco Rubio says the US should hit back with 'more than just sanctions' after Pompeo confirms Russia WAS behind the cyber attack branded an 'act of war' by senator
- Kickboxing Champion Dead After Accidentally Being Shot While Hunting
- The Mandalorian season 2: Everything we know before episode 8 hits Disney Plus
- Food producers warn fruit and vegetable shortages could last up to SIX MONTHS if there it a No Deal Brexit as supply chain 'won't cope', as France trolls that the UK will be worst hit by a collapse in talks
- Coronavirus digest: COVID nearly three times deadlier than flu
- Making America dull again
- Gunmen on loose in Vienna after 'repulsive terror attack'
- Trump pardons more allies and Kushner’s father, sparking fresh outrage
- Cackling Kim Jong-un pictured celebrating launch of new Hwasong-15 mega-missile as US warns North Korea will be ‘utterly destroyed’ if it sparks war
- Brexit Diaries 38: (Un-)Happy Brexit Day
- 'We've taken back control': Boris Johnson hails historic 'Canada-style' trade deal with the EU saying the UK is master of its own 'destiny' again as propaganda war rages with No10 claiming victory - but Ursula von der Leyen says Brussels was 'strong'
- Swift Backlash for Brazil Students Targeting Misinformation
Norway hits back at Brazilian president's whale hunt tweet have 400 words, post on www.thelocal.no at August 19, 2019. This is cached page on CHUTEU. If you want remove this page, please contact us.