London (CNN Business) The world’s largest offshore wind farm is taking shape off the east coast of Britain, a landmark project that demonstrates one way to combat climate change at scale. Located 120 kilometers (75 miles) off England’s Yorkshire coast, Hornsea One will produce enough energy to supply 1 million UK homes with clean electricity when it is completed in 2020. The project spans an area that’s bigger than the Maldives or Malta, and is located farther out to sea than any other wind farm . It consists of 174 seven-megawatt wind turbines, with towers that are each nearly 100 meters tall. The blades cover an area bigger than the London Eye observation wheel as they turn. Just a single rotation of one of the turbines can power the average home for an entire day, according to Stefan Hoonings, senior project manager at Orsted ( DOGEF ) , the Danish energy company that built the farm. The project will take the United Kingdom closer to hitting its target of deriving a third of the country’s electricity from offshore wind by 2030. Read More It’s the kind of project that can help governments achieve environmental targets set out at this week’s… Read full this story
- Norway's Equinor to cooperate with China's CPIH in offshore wind
- Germany's RWE looks to enter Japan offshore wind power market
- Tasmanian wind farm plans are not all hot air, but how will they work?
- Offshore Wind Power Holds ‘Vast Potential’ If Trump Admin Obstruction Overcome
- £2bn Gwynt y Mor wind farm officially opens off Llandudno
- Wind farms: climate protection vs. nature protection
- Renova Energia CFO out after Light divestiture, failure to sell Brazil wind farms
- Wind farms are not only beautiful, they're absolutely necessary
- Hinton wind farm impasse continues
- Hendy Wind farm given green light despite rejection, minister says
- Work to begin on Swansea Mynydd y Gwair wind farm
- Mynydd y Gwair wind farm: Swansea council backs new bid
The world's largest offshore wind farm is nearly complete. It can power 1 million homes have 309 words, post on edition.cnn.com at September 25, 2019. This is cached page on CHUTEU. If you want remove this page, please contact us.