Fine Gael TDs fearful of a backlash over carbon tax hikes want tomorrow’s budget to include a ‘transition fund’ for new jobs as well increases in fuel allowances for poorer families.Government party TDs launched attacks on opposition spending promises today while also claiming the general public actually want a “prudent budget” to prepare the country for a possible hard Brexit.Speaking at Leinster House, Laois-Offaly TD Marcella Corcoran Kennedy called for a “just transition” for everybody and for carbon tax rises to be ringfenced for climate action measures. “The just transition impact on the workers in Bord na Mona or other peat workers must be to the top priority of consideration. Therefor I want to see a midlands regional transition fund.”Finance Minister Paschal Donohoe is set to increase carbon taxes by €6 in tomorrow’s budget, bringing to €26 the charge for using a tonne of carbon. This will put up the cost of a filling a car with fuel by around €1.50. It will also see hikes in the cost of heating oil, briquettes and coal.The last 24 hours have seen ministers press for compensation measures to alleviate any impact of the carbon tax hike, particularly for rural dwellers, hauliers and… Read full this story
- UK energy firms call on chancellor to boost carbon tax
- Washington State Likely Rejects a Historic Carbon Tax
- Doug Ford scraps carbon tax plan and sets up climate fight with Trudeau
- Carbon tax v cap-and-trade: which is better?
- ConocoPhillips backs carbon tax plan
- It’s Younger and Cooler Than a Carbon Tax
- Group launches six-figure pro-carbon tax ad campaign aimed at Congress
- A (Barely) Bipartisan Carbon Tax That Seems to Work
- Maria Bailey: Swing fall case TD deselected by Fine Gael
- Chicago mayor avoids property tax hike to fill big budget hole
- Sales of super-luxury homes fall off a cliff as tax hikes and economic uncertainty take hold
- Labour's eco-war on drivers: Jeremy Corbyn's plan to force a 60 per cent drop in motorists' mileage with tax hikes and lower speed limits to hit emissions target
Fine Gael TDs fearful of backlash over carbon tax hikes in tomorrow's budget have 331 words, post on feeds.breakingnews.ie at October 7, 2019. This is cached page on CHUTEU. If you want remove this page, please contact us.