BARCELONA (Reuters) – Members of Catalan separatist party Esquerra Republicana de Catalunya (ERC) on Monday overwhelmingly backed the conditions set out by party leaders to support a Socialist-led government in Spain, demanding a negotiation over the issue of secession. The result of the non-binding consultation could ease the way for left-leaning ERC to act as a potential kingmaker after the Nov. 10 election yielded a deeply fragmented political landscape. A total of 94.6% of members voted yes. The turnout was around 70% with close to 6,000 votes. Spain’s Socialists, led by acting Prime Minister Pedro Sanchez, have been left scrambling for support following an election win in which they fell short of a majority. ERC official Marta Vilalta said the results showed that, unless the Socialists accept its demands, the party will uphold its refusal to facilitate Sanchez’s bid to form a government. “If (the Socialists) want something from us they have to make a move, if they don’t we will obviously maintain our no (vote),” Vilalta told reporters. The party’s goal is to meet with the Socialists this week, an ERC source said. In a convoluted question, ERC had asked its members whether they “agree to reject Pedro Sanchez’s… Read full this story
- Clashes between Azerbaijan and Armenia intensify as US steps up efforts to negotiate a ceasefire to bring an end month of bloodshed
- EU Brexit negotiator Barnier says Chequers plan 'illegal'
- Farm leaders reject Amit Shah’s offer of talks, set new terms
- Sign accords but talk peace
- Turkey seeks approval to deploy peacekeepers in Azerbaijan
- Turkish parliament approves peacekeepers for Azerbaijan
- Brexit negotiations suspended after official tests positive for coronavirus
- Brexit trade negotiations suspended because of COVID-19 case
- Vatican Allegedly Hacked By China Ahead Of Talks About Status Of The Church In The Country
- Afghan 'loya jirga' approves prisoner release
- Brexit trade talks suspended due to Covid-19 case
- EU gives upbeat assessment of state of Brexit trade talks
Catalan separatists approve talks with Socialists, demand negotiation have 311 words, post on www.reuters.com at November 25, 2019. This is cached page on CHUTEU. If you want remove this page, please contact us.