Boris Johnson has promised to put his “heart and soul” into a planned bid to host the 2030 World Cup as part of a pledge that every family will be within 15 minutes of a high-quality football pitch. Writing in Telegraph Sport on Tuesday, Football Association chief executive Mark Bullingham outlined a crisis in grass-roots football facilities that means 150,000 matches are cancelled every year and only one in three pitches are up to standard. At current rates of investment, he said that it would take 25 years to provide even basic facilities. Johnson has now said that grass-roots investment will be quadrupled over the next decade from £180 million to £730 million if he remains prime minister after next week’s general election. “This great country is the home of football,” said Johnson. “Let’s make 2030 the year of the UK and Ireland World Cup. I want this tournament to be about more than just football. I want it to transform lives with a legacy to match the 2012 Olympics.” The FA said that it welcomed “any appropriate partner” who could help both to transform grass-roots football and successfully bid for the World Cup. “The opportunity to ensure that everyone… Read full this story
- Tears and rage in the HS2 'killing fields' of England - while Boris Johnson promises a greener country
- Open wide! Boris Johnson takes 'revolutionary' Covid test at Leicester lab as experts hope swabs that deliver results in under an hour could allow students to return home for Christmas
- The numbers behind Boris Johnson’s 'traffic light' lockdown: Striking graphs show how England's second wave is 'extending' south of the hotspots in the North as three Nightingale Hospitals are put on alert to reopen
- Coronavirus RECAP: Keir Starmer attacks Boris Johnson over 'slow' lockdown response
- Boris Johnson refuses to extend free schools meals over the Christmas break
- The £5 Covid-19 test that can give a result in 15 minutes: Rapid coronavirus check could be the key to finally reopening concert venues and getting fans back into sports grounds... with people who test negative getting a 'day pass' to attend public events
- Boris Johnson's kids' food advisor says he 'isn't doing enough' and 'must act'
- STEPHEN GLOVER: Boris Johnson's father Stanley's betrayals didn't stop him leaving his own family
- 'I had no alternative': Boris Johnson begs Tories to keep faith in his Covid strategy saying he must act to lower death toll despite huge revolt over lockdown Mark 2 - as he vows MPs will get a VETO on extending curbs beyond Dec 2
- Tory MPs savage Boris Johnson over second lockdown as businesses ‘face abyss’
- Boris Johnson told to boost pay for hundreds of thousands of struggling carers
- Chaos, clashes then crackdown: Boris Johnson's lockdown announcement comes amid claims of fierce arguments behind the scenes as senior Tory MPs warn of lasting damage on weakened economy
Boris Johnson pledges every family will be within 15 minutes of a high-quality football pitch have 460 words, post on www.telegraph.co.uk at December 6, 2019. This is cached page on CHUTEU. If you want remove this page, please contact us.