BOGOTA, Colombia (AP) — On a vacant grassy lot squeezed between several smoggy highways lies the property where Colombia’s government hopes to build a large museum paying homage to victims of the country’s long civil conflict. But for now, the terrain occupied only by a rusted cubic metal sculpture is a reminder of how polarized this South American nation remains. In recent weeks, the future of the Museum of Memory has become a public feud because of the director overseeing it. President Iván Duque’s appointee – history professor Darío Acevedo – is a conservative who has expressed a view of the conflict that critics say could excuse the state of much of its responsibility for the violence. Acevedo has rejected a draft plan for the museum’s content and has questioned the number of victims of the five-decade war. In response, some victim groups vow not to work with the historical center. “What’s at stake is potentially losing the opportunity for the museum to be another instrument through which to build peace in Colombia,” said Rafael Tamayo, an academic who until recently served as the museum’s leader. The idea of a Museum of Memory dates to a 2011 law that vowed… Read full this story
- Hello from Ottawa: The Canadian War Museum and Its Special Exhibit Weapons of Mass Dissemination
- Part 2: Deep Inside Colombia- Crossing The Andes with a Surfboard
- English Teacher's Day in Colombia: A Party in Full
- Sotheby's and Christie's - Are They in Conflict of Intrests with the Natural Art Market?
- Approaches to Resolving Interpersonal Conflict in the Workplace: an Overview for Managers
- Cancer and the Shock Conflict
- The Nature of Conflict
- Resolving Team Conflict-Nine Steps to Constructive Resolution
- How Memory Foam Mattresses Can Prevent Sleep Deprivation
- Day Trip to the Frick Museum in New York
- Abatement Conflicts with Eco-Systems
- Plimoth Plantation, One of the Great New England Museums
Colombia’s conflict spills over to museum of memory have 305 words, post on apnews.com at December 24, 2019. This is cached page on CHUTEU. If you want remove this page, please contact us.