Russian President Vladimir Putin opened a commuter rail bridge between the Crimea and Russian mainland with a ceremonious train journey on Monday, as Russia continues to cement its influence in Crimea since its annexation in 2014. He crossed the 19-kilometer bridge from Kerch on the Crimean side to the Taman peninsula on the mainland Russian side accompanied by construction workers. Spectators watched the crossing on a screen from Taman Passazhirskaya station. Putin rode shotgun for the TV cameras on the inaugural crossing The railway bridge was finished on December 18 with Monday’s journey marking the first time that trains have from the peninsula since 2014 when Russian troops moved in support Ukrainian separatists and followed by a referendum, which was met by international condemnation. Putin congratulated construction workers on completing the bridge, saying that “it has proven our ability to carry out large-scale infrastructure projects.” People watched the rail crossing on a screen from Taman Reconnecting Crimea The bridge consists of parallel automobile and railway sections and the project came at a cost of $3.6 billion; planning began in 2014, soon after Crimea’s annexation. The automobile segment of the bridge was formally opened by Putin in May 2018 and made available for cargo traffic in the autumn… Read full this story
- How Vladimir Putin Has Cracked Down on Russia's Internet
- Ukraine crisis ‘one step away from war’ as Putin masses more troops on border and US warships head for Black Sea
- Russia-Ukraine crisis: Kerch Strait blockade ends after Moscow seizes ships
- Australia Imposes Sanctions on Russian Individual, 4 Companies Over Crimean Railway Bridge
- Russia orders troops back to base after massive buildup near Ukraine border
- Biden talks to Putin about Ukraine, suggests meeting
- Protesters across Russia call for Alexey Navalny's release on same day as Putin's annual address
- Russian forces are massing on Ukraine's border. Bluff or not, Putin is playing with fire
- MICHAEL BURLEIGH: Wounded Vladimir Putin turns up the heat as naked aggression threatens to reignite conflict
- Russia-Ukraine crisis could explode into war in days as UK commanders on 'high alert'
- Russian troops and tanks mass on Ukraine border as Putin’s top diplomat warns war would ‘DESTROY’ ex-Soviet state
- Top Putin Official Warns of 'End of Ukraine' Should War Break Out Near Border with Russia
Putin train ride bridges Crimea-Russia gap have 362 words, post on www.dw.com at December 23, 2019. This is cached page on CHUTEU. If you want remove this page, please contact us.