Published 24 March 2020 Share close Share page Copy link About sharing Boris Johnson has outlined strict new measures to tackle the spread of coronavirus, including a ban on public gatherings of more than two people. He said people should only leave home to exercise once a day, travel to and from work “where this is absolutely necessary”, shop for essential items and fulfil any medical or care needs. He also ordered the immediate closure of shops selling non-essential goods. But police said they had received lots of calls asking what was still allowed. In the UK, 340 people have died with the virus. On Monday evening, 27 million TV viewers watched Mr Johnson tell the country it was facing a “moment of national emergency” and that staying at home was necessary to protect the NHS, save lives and tackle “the biggest threat this country has faced for decades”. Police and local authorities will have powers to disperse gatherings, including through fines. The restrictions would be under constant review and a relaxation of the rules would be considered in three weeks, he said. “To put it simply, if too many people become seriously unwell at one time, the NHS will… Read full this story
- Scientists find compound to fight virus behind SARS, MERS
- The 15 best episodes of ‘Curb Your Enthusiasm,’ which returned Sunday night after 6 years
- The 13 best restaurants in the UK to try in 2018
- 6 Asian Countries Penang Can Learn From In Its Efforts To Curb The Rabies Outbreak
- Will OFWs bring Ebola as pasalubong?
- Ebola-infected UK nurse fighting for her life
- Former fugitive and cybersecurity legend John McAfee says he may be running for president — here’s a look at his insane life
- Fighting infections with viruses, as antibiotics fail
- Reforms needed to curb corruption – experts
- Katy Perry, personalised superyachts, and Russian spies: inside the crazy life of London property tycoons the Candy brothers
- Band Aid sings again to fight Ebola
- The incredible life of Mike Lynch, the Cambridge academic who sold his search startup to HP for $11 billion
Coronavirus: UK brings in strict curbs on life to fight virus have 327 words, post on www.bbc.co.uk at March 24, 2020. This is cached page on CHUTEU. If you want remove this page, please contact us.