The feedback was overwhelming and encouraging, and our readers engaged strongly with the content, which we brought to you thanks to the insights and extensive research of scientists, in special partnership with Judith Neilson Institute for Journalism and Ideas and the Australian Science Media Centre. Dr Sarah Perkins-Kirkpatrick, a senior lecturer and ARC Future Fellow at the Climate Change Research Centre at UNSW Sydney, was one of a number of experts who offered their insights. And today, she returned to offer a rebuttal to a few of the, shall we say “wilder” comments received. DODGY METEOROLOGISTS Deplorable Shag commented: “The BoM homogenised its historical records.” That’s their caveat on claims that Australia has warmed over several decades, touching on a baffling belief that the Bureau of Meteorology is involved in some sort of conspiracy to fiddle with historic data in order to fraudulently prove climate change. A few people in the comments section accused the Bureau of duping us all. And they’re right. The Bureau does “homogenise” its records – like virtually every other meteorological service in the world. “Homogenisation means that the Bureau runs two records simultaneously and uses an algorithm to remove errors in the data. That is,… Read full this story
- A Brief Chat With Elon Musk About Climate Change, Rex Tillerson, and Donald Trump [Update]
- Our First Solid Evidence For What Climate Change Did to Hurricane Harvey
- 'I Am Afraid': A First-Ever Poll Shows How Worried Greenlanders Are About Climate Change
- US judge halts hundreds of drilling projects in groundbreaking climate change ruling
- 'Both Sides of the Science': U.S. Ambassador to Canada Mocked for Climate Change Stance—Again
- Climate Change May Be Making Deer Evolve to Give Birth Earlier in the Year, Scientists Discover
- Trump says 'I don't believe' federal report's findings that climate change will hurt the economy. Here are 5 takeaways from that report
- Tempers flare in Senate over Green New Deal, climate change
- Homalictus Terminalis: New Bee Species Discovered Is Already at Risk of Extinction From Climate Change
- Hurricanes Fueled by Climate Change Are Threatening to Wipe Out These Endangered Species in the U.S.
- David Attenborough says climate change to cause "great social unrest" in 20 years
- America's Biggest Coal Company Backed Dozens of Climate Change Deniers
Responding to ‘wild’ online comments about climate change have 366 words, post on www.news.com.au at March 11, 2020. This is cached page on CHUTEU. If you want remove this page, please contact us.