The world’s largest investment banks have funnelled more than £2.2tn ($2.66tn) into fossil fuels since the Paris agreement, new figures show, prompting warnings they are failing to respond to the climate crisis. The US bank JP Morgan Chase, whose economists warned that the climate crisis threatens the survival of humanity last month, has been the largest financier of fossil fuels in the four years since the agreement, providing over £220bn of financial services to extract oil, gas and coal. Analysis of the 35 leading global investment banks, by an alliance of US-based environmental groups, said that financing for the companies most aggressively expanding in new fossil fuel extraction since the Paris agreement has surged by nearly 40% in the last year. Using Bloomberg financial data and other sources to analyse loans, equity issuances and debt underwriting services from 2016 to 2019, the analysis is published on Wednesday in the Banking on Climate Change 2020 report. It has been compiled by Rainforest Action Network, BankTrack, Indigenous Environmental Network, Oil Change International, Reclaim Finance, and Sierra Club. Although the last 12 months has seen many investment banks announce financing restrictions on coal, Arctic oil and gas, and tar sands extraction, the report… Read full this story
- Unsecured fossil fuel investment risks a global financial crisis: letter
- The world plans to produce far more fossil fuel than it should to stay under dangerous climate limits, UN says
- G-20 public finance for fossil fuel projects dwarfs green energy support
- Global economy losing $8 billion daily to air pollution from fossil fuels – Greenpeace
- Joe Biden "cowardly" for bowing to Manchin's fossil fuel donors, hunger strike leader says
- Fossil Fuel Use Could Peak in Just a Few Years. Still, Major Challenges Loom
- Scientists looked at more than 100,000 studies and found the world has a giant climate-crisis blind spot
- Fossil fuel plans would far overshoot climate goals: Study
- What is the future for fossil fuel investments?
- We fact checked Barnaby Joyce on the relative size of fossil fuel exports. Here's what we found
- Revealed: Pension funds invest £128billion of your money in fossil fuel companies
- ‘Not a green switch you can flip’ Mark Carney issues global fossil fuel energy warning
Study: global banks 'failing miserably' on climate crisis by funneling trillions into fossil fuels have 348 words, post on www.theguardian.com at March 18, 2020. This is cached page on CHUTEU. If you want remove this page, please contact us.