To keep our community informed of the most urgent coronavirus news, The San Francisco Chronicle’s critical updates are free to read. Ongoing coverage is available to subscribers. Subscribe now for full access and to support our work. Total coronavirus cases: • 36,043 in California, including 1,343 deaths. • 6,828 in the Bay Area, including 238 deaths. • 826,248 in the U.S., including 45,153 deaths. The five states with the highest death tolls are New York with 19,118; New Jersey with 5,097; Michigan with 2,700; Massachusetts with 1,961 and Pennsylvania with 1,673. Click here to see a U.S. map with state-by-state death tolls and coronavirus case counts. • More than 2.5 million in the world, with more than 179,000 deaths. More than 651,000 people have recovered. Coronavirus cases by city: For detailed maps and new city-by-city Bay Area data, check out The Chronicle’s Coronavirus Tracker. To get regular updates on our coverage, sign up for our coronavirus newsletter. Latest developments from today: Related Stories LocalChronicle Staff ReportCoronavirus hits Bay Area: What residents need to knowCoronavirus Map: Tracking COVID-19 cases across California 2:15 p.m. Marshawn Lynch celebrates birthday by distributing masks: Oakland native and NFL Pro Bowl running back Marshawn Lynch spent… Read full this story
- Hunger has gotten worse in San Francisco in the past 5 years, despite $48 million in increased spending
- How San Francisco grew into a world-class museum town, from de Young to SFMOMA
- How aviation took off in flight-obsessed San Francisco
- San Francisco police and fire stood guard through early challenges
- San Francisco's future can be seen through the lens of its history
- How pop music and icons have taken San Francisco higher
- How San Francisco evicted thousands of dead people
- ‘Wall Street West’ no more? Banks shrink as tech grows in San Francisco
- Why is it so expensive to dine out in San Francisco?
- Coffee roasters: One of San Francisco's last thriving food manufacturers
- 10 newest hotels in San Francisco (PHOTOS)
- San Francisco exodus: Couple flees the Mission to become Iowa hay farmers
Coronavirus live updates: San Francisco unemployment soars past 2008-9 recession level have 313 words, post on www.sfchronicle.com at April 22, 2020. This is cached page on CHUTEU. If you want remove this page, please contact us.