By Megha Mohan Published 29 April 2020 Share close Share page Copy link About sharing Related Topics Coronavirus pandemic International transgender rights groups are warning global coronavirus lockdown restrictions have led to trans people being denied healthcare. Many have had surgeries delayed, and some are struggling to access hormone therapy and counselling services. Gender reassignment surgeries have been delayed globally as a result of coronavirus – with elective procedures stopped to expand capacity for intensive care because of the pandemic. Although hormone treatments are still available to many in the West, trans-rights groups in East Africa warn that may not be the case for transgender people in other continents. “Transgender people are already an extremely vulnerable group,” says Barbra Wangare, the Executive Director of East Africa Trans Health & Advocacy Network (EATHAN), “and support has historically never been a priority – even among the LGBT community. Coronavirus will only expose more of these vulnerabilities. “We are hearing from people who say they fear they are detransitioning due to lack of access to medical care. This puts them in an extremely fragile emotional state.” Transgender people are about twice as likely to take their own lives as other LGBT people, according… Read full this story
- House Equality Act Extends Civil Rights Protections to Gay and Transgender People
- Improve cervical screening for transgender people, says expert
- AAP's Raghav Chadha Distributes Ration to Transgender People in His Constituency
- Coronavirus: Welsh Government to announce lockdown plans on Friday
- Coronavirus: Single people can stay the night with loved ones, PM says
- Romanian police investigating nearly 200 people over anti-lockdown protests
- Covid in Scotland: How gaming helps people connect during lockdown
- Coronavirus: Singapore bans Britons for lockdown 'bar crawl'
- This Year’s Transgender Murder Total Just Hit a ‘Grim Milestone’
- This record-breaking year for anti-transgender legislation would affect minors the most
- 'I worried my flatmates would hear me get sick during my lockdown bulimia hell'
- Biden administration OKs Colorado expansion of transgender health coverage
Coronavirus: Transgender people 'extremely vulnerable' during lockdown have 313 words, post on www.bbc.co.uk at April 28, 2020. This is cached page on CHUTEU. If you want remove this page, please contact us.