Priti Patel dampened hopes of Britons desperate to jet off on holiday as soon as possible today, warning that quarantine-free ‘air bridges’ will not be up and running ‘overnight’. The Home Secretary spoke out after travel companies reported their biggest Saturday sales ever as bargain hunters rushed to book before a ‘traffic light system’ is introduced this week. The plan to allow Brits go on holiday to the safest destinations without having to quarantine for 14 days is expected to come into force on July 6. The Foreign Office will also lift its advice against ‘all but essential travel’ to low or medium-risk destinations, making it possible to obtain travel insurance. But Speaking to Sky News’ Ridge on Sunday today, Ms Patel said that there may be some heavy negotiations ahead before some countries allow UK residents to travel. She said: ‘There will be an announcement in the next few days ahead, the review point is tomorrow, which is what the Government has outlined. ‘You will have to, along with members of the public, listen to the advice, see what the government is saying in terms of the countries that we are going to be opening up with, who we… Read full this story
- UK's coronavirus death toll leaps by 260 in a single day to hit 1,019: Britain suffers its worst day yet with huge spike in victims as more than 17,000 have now been infected
- They were healthy: 13 of the 260 who died in UK's blackest day so far in coronavirus crisis had no underlying health conditions
- The crackdown may get tougher: As UK's coronavirus death toll jumps by 181 in a single day, even stricter social distancing measures may be put in place, warn Government advisers
- Midlands records a higher coronavirus death toll than London in one day with 212 deaths compared to 127 as the rest of UK including Yorkshire starts catching up with the capital
- British Airways scraps its dividend and furloughs over 30,000 staff on 80 per cent pay in desperate bid to survive the worst crisis in its history
- They just don't get it! Large crowds stop for a coffee and a chat as they totally ignore social distancing rules at a Sydney beach - despite dire warnings that they could be spreading coronavirus
- 'If I don't do this there will be ANARCHY': Now police officer fines a shopkeeper for 'criminal damage' after she drew social-distancing markers in CHALK outside her bakery - as forces across country flex their new coronavirus lockdown powers
- Ironbridge holds its breath: Residents of Shropshire town evacuate over fears flood barriers will buckle overnight - after defences failed 22 miles along the River Severn at Bewdley
- Up to a million Britons are STILL stranded abroad scrambling to return home after countries closed their borders - including 6,000 unable to leave New Zealand after it grounded international flights
- Senior Government official admits 15-minute coronavirus antibody tests are still being evaluated as manufacturer warns it could take them SIX WEEKS to have any kits ready for Britons to use
- EasyJet and Wizz Air passengers are denied refunds, refused access to customer services and told to turn up for flights that are already CANCELLED amid coronavirus meltdown
- 'Up to 80 per cent of patients on ventilators will die': Grim warning given to volunteers at NHS Nightingale hospital who are warned 'be prepared to see death'
Don't pack your toothbrush just yet: Priti Patel warns Britons desperate to jet off on holiday that air bridges will not happen 'overnight' and the UK still needs to negotiate with countries to lift quarantine rules have 539 words, post on www.dailymail.co.uk at June 28, 2020. This is cached page on CHUTEU. If you want remove this page, please contact us.