College admission rankings that depend on Class 12 marks are likely to have much higher cut-offs this year, with a huge spike in the number of students scoring high marks in this year’s Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE) examinations.Students who scored 95% or above were part of an elite group of just 17,693 in 2019, less than 1.5% of all candidates. In 2020, a year when the examinations were disrupted by COVID-19, that figure more than doubled, with 38,686 students scoring above 95%, according to CBSE data.The number of students who scored above 90% also increased from about 94,000 students in 2019 to almost 1.6 lakh in 2020. For universities and colleges which use Class 12 marks for their admission procedures, this means that a larger number of high-scoring applicants are likely to push cut-offs to higher levels than usual.The overall pass percentage was also higher than the previous year, with 88.8% of students passing the exam in comparison to 83.4% in 2019.Cancelled papersFor subjects that were cancelled due to the pandemic, marks were calculated on the basis of students’ performance in the completed papers, using an assessment scheme approved by the Supreme Court. Only a third of the… Read full this story
- Tropical storm to hit East Sea
- Juve pull 12 points clear of Roma
- Exam cheats 'only cheating themselves'
- Judging from high school students' graduation exams
- Math prodigy doubles as prizewinning pianist
- Vietnam's middle class projected to double by 2020
- Lewandowski double puts Bayern 10 points clear
- Ronaldo keeps scoring as Juventus soar 11 points clear in Serie A
- Weakened Merkel wins fourth term, hit by nationalist ’earthquake’
- Vietnamese Middle-class Population Expands Rapidly
- Twin blasts kill 12, wound 100 in Russia's Caucasus
- Social networks scan for sexual predators, with uneven results
CBSE Class 12 results: Scores above 95% doubled in COVID-hit CBSE Class 12 exams have 267 words, post on www.thehindu.com at July 13, 2020. This is cached page on CHUTEU. If you want remove this page, please contact us.