Most NYE celebrations were watched from home, if they weren’t canceled Millions are in lockdown as recent waves of COVID infections continue to take their toll Many were eager to see the back of 2020, a year in which COVID-19 killed over 1.8 million people All updates in Coordinated Universal Time (UTC) 12:00 The year 2020 is now finally and completely over as the last time zone enters 2021. Baker and Howland Islands are two uninhabited atolls in the middle of the Pacific which belong to the US and have the honor of being the last locations on the planet to experience the new year. 11:00 The Pacific islands of American Samoa just entered 2021 — all that is left are the uninhabited Baker and Howland Islands. 10:00 Hawaii was the final US state to bid farewell, five hours after New York and the rest of the eastern seaboard rang in the new year. The festivities for 2020 were a stark deviation from previous years with the streets of most major cities around the world left eerily quiet as people celebrated, or not, at home. Check out our picture gallery. Where is everyone? — deserted New Year celebrations Sydney, Australia A 12-minute fireworks show lit… Read full this story
- When is Diwali 2021? What happens on the five days of the festival?
- Sajid Javid slams London mayor Sadiq Khan's decision to cancel capital's New Year's Eve firework display over Covid fears
- Happy Brexit! Big Ben bongs for New Year's victory as UK FINALLY leaves EU
- 2021 World Series: Dusty Baker, the lovable manager of the hated Astros, has chance to cement his legacy
- Courtney Duncan plans more years of world domination flying the Kiwi flag but can't return to New Zealand
- Van has fake people showing fake love to her in a very Atlanta New Year's Eve
- China seemingly set on new approach to Pacific influence
- T20 World Cup 2021: Every Side Has Match-Winners And Anything Can Happen, Says Kane Williamson
- As Borders Reopen, New York Wants Foreign Tourists Back, and Fast
- The Aggrieved World Series
- Astros-Braves World Series Pits Father Versus Son
- The world is banking on giant carbon-sucking fans to clean our climate mess. It's a big risk.
New Year 2021 around the world — As it happened have 348 words, post on www.dw.com at January 1, 2021. This is cached page on CHUTEU. If you want remove this page, please contact us.