Seattle Mariners president and CEO Kevin Mather issued a public apology for a “terrible lapse in judgment” after a series of wide-ranging comments, which included questioning the English proficiency of two players, were made public over the weekend. In a speech to the Bellevue Breakfast Rotary Club in Washington on February 5, Mather complained he was “tired of paying” for an interpreter for former Mariners Hisashi Iwakuma—who returned to the franchise in January as a special assignment coach. He made similar comments about minor league outfielder Julio Rodriguez. A video of the speech was uploaded on YouTube on Sunday and while it was swiftly deleted, several clips made their way onto various social media platforms. Hours after footage first surfaced, Mather, who has been with the Mariners since 1996 and was promoted to the role of president and CEO four years ago, publicly apologized. “I want to apologize to every member of the Seattle Mariners organization, especially our players and to our fans,” he said in a statement. “There is no excuse for my behavior, and I take full responsibility for my terrible lapse in judgment.” “I’ve been on the phone most of the day today apologizing to the many… Read full this story
- Here’s a full transcript of President Trump’s speech from his Tampa rally
- Jose Altuve says Astros will 'be on the same page' when Roberto Osuna joins team
- Did the Mariners do enough at the trade deadline? What the national media are saying
- A timeline of Alex Rodriguez’s career: From Mariners top pick to diminished Yankees DH
- Seattle plane hijacker 'had clearance'
- Years after duels with David Robinson, Army hoops legend Kevin Houston still lights up Pearl River gym
- Is this a cheaper solution for Seattle’s homeless crisis?
- Gatekeepers or Censors? How Tech Manages Online Speech
- Richard Russell: Details emerge of a 'warm' man after Seattle plane heist and fiery crash
- Australian's Parliament speech on 'final solution' condemned
- Kevin Landrigan's Granite Status: NH loses top spot as most free state, local policies blamed
- CNBC Transcript: Ian Davis, Chairman, Rolls-Royce
What did Kevin Mather Say? Full Transcript of Seattle Mariners CEO's Controversial Speech have 336 words, post on www.newsweek.com at February 22, 2021. This is cached page on CHUTEU. If you want remove this page, please contact us.