Source: Mika Baumeister/Unsplash I wish I didn't have to write this post. Unfortunately, I do. Rates of sexual assault are high—estimates are that between 1 in 6 women and 1 in 25 men in Australia have experienced at least one sexual assault since age 15. When I say sexual assault, I am utilising the commonly accepted definition of the term in Australia, i.e., "Sexual assault is a type of sexual violence that involves any physical contact, or intent of contact, of sexual nature against a person's will, using physical force, intimidation or coercion (ABS 2011; AIHW 2019a)." The psychological impacts of sexual assault on victims can be far-reaching and often involve significant anxiety , fear , adjustment and mood difficulties, post- traumatic intrusions, and difficulties with intimacy and sexual functioning (Resick, 1993). In my private practice, I work with people who have experienced a range of traumas. Sexual traumas and rapes appear to cut especially deep, perhaps because of the profound, interpersonal nature of the betrayal (the majority of my sexual assault survivor clients were harmed by someone they know) and the shame -filled rhetoric around the way we have historically discussed sex and sexual assault. Sometimes, people do not acknowledge to themselves or… Read full this story
- Barry Diller is accused of covering up Tinder CEO's sexual assault of a female executive in motion to toss out the defamation suit filed by the two men against the alleged victim
- EXCLUSIVE: Ellen DeGeneres' stepsister slams her claim she was sexually assaulted by her stepfather and accuses the comedienne of only making the 'pathetic' allegation to 'sell a TV show'
- New California law allowing childhood sexual assault victims more time to report draws widespread praise
- Woman accused of sexually assaulting drag queen
- 'I was chased and sexually assaulted while out running'
- Appeal after woman sexually assaulted in city centre
- Girl sexually assaulted on Cornhill in Ipswich town centre
- 'Criminal injustice': Alleged child sexual assault victim angered by his accused abusers' suicide
- David Blaine ends his disappearing act: Celebrity illusionist re-emerges for the first time in months to attend SNL after party - his first public appearance since two women accused him of sexual assault in April
- Britain's worst paedophile Richard Huckle, 33, is found 'stabbed to death with a makeshift blade' in his prison cell three years after he was jailed for raping and sexually assaulting 200 children in south-east Asia
- Child sexual abuse prevention needs to go beyond empty slogans
- Sexual Harassment Towards Men
5 Steps to Managing the Aftermath of Sexual Assault have 401 words, post on www.psychologytoday.com at April 26, 2021. This is cached page on CHUTEU. If you want remove this page, please contact us.