THE DETAIL/RNZ Kiwis are having much fewer children than before, but what are the consequences of our declining birth rate on the economy and the environment? OPINION: To claim myself as child-free has been and continues to be a hard-won and uncertain process. Here in Dunedin, I sometimes cross paths with individuals who are also in various stages of the child-free process. Some have only just started to realise there are other options than reproducing like everyone else, others who go back and forth, and, finally, people like me who love their lives and realise having children could really screw things up and tip the balance irrevocably. READ MORE: ‘An endless burden’: I have no kids and no regrets Childless couples and empty-nesters the future for NZ The mother load: Why women still shoulder the parenting burden I’ve arrived at a good place now: one where I know that I have done the hard intellectual and emotional work necessary to feel secure in my decision. It took awhile, I’d say a good five years, as I turned 30, to really address and face why I didn’t want kids, as well as how that was going to affect my relationship. When I look at a lot… Read full this story
- Best children's savings accounts including Junior ISAs and Child Trust Funds
- How Darrell Hammond Survived Child Abuse, Leaving ‘SNL’ in a Straitjacket, and Acting With Donald Trump
- Amazon has deals on nearly all of its own services for Prime Day 2019
- ROBERT HARDMAN: 75 years after VE Day we'll do what the Luftwaffe never could - and blow the roof off the Albert Hall with star-studded veterans' party
- Thomas Rhett looks like a proud papa as he places his hand on his wife Lauren Akins' growing baby bump at American Music Awards
- Helicopter parenting could make your child crash
- Coronation Street's Mikey North and wife Rachael Isherwood welcome their second child
- Australian Idol star Shannon Noll, 42, and wife Rochelle, 43, announce they are expecting a fourth child… after fearing they would never be able to conceive again due to a freak accident
- Are You Making Bad Behavior Worse?
- 'Empathy should have no limits': Emma Watson wins first 'gender free' Best Actor In a Movie category at MTV Movie & TV Awards
- Driver with indecent child images caution and others without licences were among 43 fraudulent Uber workers who faked IDs to get fares as ride-hail app is banned in London
- Ulrika Jonsson’s daughter cheekily brands her a ‘bad b***h’ as star shares greetings card messages from her children on her 52nd birthday
I'm proudly child-free but I have my bad days have 422 words, post on www.stuff.co.nz at April 27, 2021. This is cached page on CHUTEU. If you want remove this page, please contact us.