The Swedish Space Corporation (SSC) has cancelled a controversial geoengineering experiment to determine whether releasing a cloud of aerosols to block the Sun could stop or reverse global warming. Laid out by researchers at Harvard University and funded, among others, by Bill Gates, the so-called Stratospheric Controlled Perturbation Experiment (or SCoPEx), planned to launch a high-altitude balloon into the atmosphere that would later release a cloud of calcium carbonate (more commonly known as chalk dust) in order to study its effects on sunbeams reaching Earth. The project, however, proved too controversial and stoked fierce opposition from environmental activists and indigenous Sami people alike. The Swedish Space Corporation (SSC) responded that a test flight set for June would not move forward. “The scientific community is divided over geoengineering, including any related technology tests such as the planned technical balloon test flight from Esrange this summer”, the SSC said in a statement, citing dialogues it had with both leading experts on geoengineering and other stakeholders, as well as with the SCoPEx Advisory Board. “There are strong voices both for and against research in the field. However, there is no clear international line about whether this type of research is appropriate”, the SSC said… Read full this story
- India, EU experts brainstorm on agenda to tackle climate change
- Bill Gates hails Indian-origin couple for pioneering work in fight against HIV, COVID-19
- For struggling Kern County, Trump means hope and change
- The Polish Government is Attacking LGBTQ People. These Activists are Fighting Back.
- VIETNAM NEWS DECEMBER 1
- VIETNAM NEWS DECEMBER 4
- VIETNAM NEWS HEADLINES DECEMBER 12
- VIETNAM NEWS DECEMBER 3
- Covid-19 vaccine myths busted from microchips in jabs to a volunteer dying in trials
- VIETNAM NEWS HEADLINES DECEMBER 11
- VIETNAM BUSINESS NEWS HEADLINES DECEMBER 2
- House Republicans who didn't sign onto the Texas lawsuit
Sweden Aborts Bill Gates-Funded Experiment Aiming to Blot Out the Sun to Fight Climate Change have 291 words, post on sputniknews.com at April 2, 2021. This is cached page on CHUTEU. If you want remove this page, please contact us.