The US has said its naval destroyer USS John Paul Jones only carried out “innocent passage” through Indian waters, ruling out that the warship had done any military manoeuvres in India’s Exclusive Economic Zone (EEZ). Pentagon Press Secretary John Kirby issued the clarification at a conference on Saturday, in response to a question on India’s diplomatic protest against the incident, which has caused mass outrage in the country. India's foreign affairs ministry, in a rare diplomatic protest against Washington DC, said on 9 April that it had conveyed its "concerns" to the Biden administration regarding the passage of the US destroyer. "The Government of India's interpretation of the United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea is that the convention does not allow other states to operate in the Exclusive Economic Zone and on the continental shelf or perform military exercises or manoeuvres, in particular those involving the use of weapons or explosives, without the consent of the coastal state," the foreign ministry said in reaction to the incident. According to the United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea (UNCLOS), the EEZ constitutes an area 200 nautical miles from the coast of a country. The US destroyer,… Read full this story
- US carrier navigates crowded waters as North Korea tensions mount
- US Navy warships pass through strategic Taiwan Strait
- Too many men: Examining the gender imbalances of India and China
- US warship sails through strategic Taiwan Strait
- India’s leader rallies his base with Hindu mega projects
- Chinese warships enter Indian Ocean amid Maldives tensions
- Chicago Cubs edge Cleveland Indians 8-7 to end 108-year World Series title drought
- A timeline of escalation in tensions in the Gulf
- THAI Smile lifts standard of in-flight service
- Thailand the missing link in China’s Maritime Silk Road
- To defend our seas, get missiles, not ships
- Some Confucian calm, please!
US Tries to Relieve Tensions With India Over Passage of Seventh Fleet Warship Through Indian EEZ have 306 words, post on sputniknews.com at April 11, 2021. This is cached page on CHUTEU. If you want remove this page, please contact us.