Director Steve James has been making films for more than 30 years now, earning two Oscar nominations along the way: Best Editing for his landmark 1994 documentary Hoop Dreams , and Best Documentary Feature for the 2016 film Abacus: Small Enough to Jail . One of his foremost skills as a filmmaker is one seemingly anyone could develop: to listen. "I think one of the things making documentaries pushes one to do is to listen," he tells Deadline. "It's a form of filmmaking that benefits greatly by just being open to what people have to say to you, and being genuinely curious about what they have to say." James is not the only good listener in his family. "My wife is an actual counselor, who has training in psychology, and for a living, she has to listen to people, and really listen to people. And I think filmmaking is my way of doing that too," he notes. "The whole point is to try to come at it from a standpoint of understanding people, not hearing what you want to hear, not listening to make a judgment, but to really understand people. Like Roger Ebert said, 'Movies are the great empathy… Read full this story
- Trump-Supporting School Board Candidate Defends Calling Black Mayor 'Dumb Monkey'
- Chicago School Board Votes To Keep Police in Schools as Other Areas Cut Them
- U.S. cities sue federal government over untraceable 'ghost guns'
- U.S. cities sue ATF over untraceable 'ghost guns'
- Here’s How Democrats And The Media Have Responded To The Months Of Civil Unrest Following George Floyd’s Death
- Understanding the Venture Economy: America's Hidden Resilience Factor
- School is starting -- and the broadband gap will be a massive problem
- Democrats, GOP trade barbs over citizenship question on 2020 census
- Census changes raise questions for states holding 2021 elections
- Police reforms quickly take hold across America. It's only just getting started
- Trump puts ‘battle’ back in battleground campaigning
- SDCC 2009: Official Saturday Schedule Announced
Director Steve James On Documenting Chicago In ‘City So Real,’ And Grabbing A Beer With Mayor Lori Lightfoot. Or Not. have 323 words, post on deadline.com at June 16, 2021. This is cached page on CHUTEU. If you want remove this page, please contact us.