close Video Attorney General Merrick Garland testifies before the House Judiciary Committee on oversight of the Department of Justice NEW You can now listen to Fox News articles! Attorney General Merrick Garland faced tough questions on a wide range of subjects Thursday at a House Judiciary Committee hearing dedicated to oversight of the Justice Department at a time when the agency is in the middle of several high-profile cases and controversies. One main issue that Republicans seized on was Garland’s recent memo to Justice Department employees about intervening in incidents of violence or intimidation targeting state and local school board officials. GOP lawmakers have criticized Garland for overstepping by getting involved in matters that should be handled by state and local law enforcement, and for issuing the memo days after the National School Boards Association asked the Biden administration to utilize tools, including the terrorism-related Patriot Act, to deal with these situations. The NSBA cited incidents of nonviolent disruption of school board meetings where parents voiced their concerns about issues such as the teaching of critical race theory, prompting Republicans to voice fears that federal involvement will influence conservatives to keep quiet instead of continuing to engage with officials. SEVENTEEN… Read full this story
- Here’s What’s Happening In Republicans’ Biden Ukraine Investigation
- Lindsey Graham Invokes Right-Wing Conspiracy Theories While Grilling Trump’s AG Pick William Barr
- University Of Delaware board members, who are keeping Biden's Senate records secret, have close ties to the former VP
- Hunter and Joe Biden did nothing illegal or unethical with Ukraine, says Dem Sen. Chris Murphy
- The Hill's Morning Report - Presented by Facebook - House delays Washington return; McConnell nixes infrastructure from COVID relief bill
- GOP eyes confirmation hearing next week for controversial Trump circuit court pick
- Mainstream media dragged 'kicking and screaming' into Joe Biden sexual assault accusation story, critics say
- The Hill's Morning Report - Presented by Facebook - Will new therapy drug be a COVID-19 game changer?
- Republicans demand interviews with FBI's Priestap, Pientka after bombshell Michael Flynn revelations
- The Hill's Morning Report - Presented by Facebook - Trump touts reopening as virus fatality forecasts trigger alarm
- The Hill's Morning Report - Presented by Facebook - Trump doesn't wear mask as he winds down task force
- Timeline shows media, Dems' different approach to Tara Reade accusation after Kavanaugh free-for-all
Garland grilled on school board memo, Hunter Biden, Jan. 6 at House Judiciary hearing have 381 words, post on www.foxnews.com at October 21, 2021. This is cached page on CHUTEU. If you want remove this page, please contact us.