External Affairs Minister S. Jaishankar suggested that rich countries needed to do more in terms of their climate commitments and allow developing countries the space to grow. His comments were made during a discussion with former U.S. Ambassador to India, Frank Wisner, organised by the U.S. India Strategic Partnership Forum, an advocacy group. In response to how India was approaching the UN Climate Conference (COP26) in Glasgow , Mr. Jaishankar said the world has limited good news going into Glasgow. He praised India's climate commitments and for achieving its Paris Agreement (2015) milestones, suggesting more had to be done by developed countries. There is international pressure on India to provide a date by when it will reach 'net zero' emissions and to revise up its Paris commitments. The U.S. Climate Envoy was in New Delhi earlier in September trying to push for bigger commitments from India before the Glasgow conference. "We are supposed to go into Glasgow, with a 'rescue the planet' package," Mr Jaishankar said on Thursday. He criticized rich countries' $100 billion per year commitment (made in 2009 and still unmet) to finance climate action in developing countries. "Compare the 'rescue the planet package' of 100 billion for… Read full this story
- U.N. Urges ‘Unprecedented and Urgent Action’ to Stop Climate Change
- The Economist: Humanity Is ‘Losing the War’ Against Climate Change
- U.S. Scuttles Arctic Accord on Climate Change Policy
- We Went to the Moon. Why Can’t We Solve Climate Change?
- Jerry Brown Made Climate Change His Issue. The Result: Attacks From All Sides.
- Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez Will Be The Leading Democrat On Climate Change
- Congo basin’s peaty swamps are new front in climate change battle
- Government Inaction Puts World on Track for 'Catastrophic' Climate Change, U.N. Warns
- Cheap Oil Is Blocking Progress On Climate Change
- World View: Climate Change Report Shows Countries Are Failing to Meet Commitments
- Nunes, Costa, Cox collide on climate change, yet they represent the same Fresno County region
- We Can’t Save Everything From Climate Change – Here’s How To Make Choices
Rich countries need to do more on climate change : Jaishankar have 344 words, post on www.thehindu.com at October 1, 2021. This is cached page on CHUTEU. If you want remove this page, please contact us.