The emergence of a new COVID-19 variant as the United States sees an uptick in infections and ongoing supply chain issues and inflation affecting the country during the holiday shopping season are both expected to dominate this week's Sunday show circuit. Earlier this week, scientists from South Africa announced that they had detected a new COVID-19 variant, which they characterized as being of "serious concern." Originally known as the B.1.1.529 variant, one South African professor called it "clearly very different" from previous variants of the coronavirus. On Friday, the World Health Organization convened a special meeting on the new variant, ultimately labeling it a "variant of concern" and giving it a Greek name, omicron. Officials said they were concerned about the variant because, based on their research, it poses a higher risk for re-infection and has many mutations. Despite early warnings not to have "knee jerk" reactions to the data being reported out of South Africa, countries like the United Kingdom and United States decided to issue travel restrictions for a handful of southern African nations due to fears that the omicron variant would spread. The U.S. announced Friday that it would be restricting travel to eight African nations, including South Africa, beginning on Monday. "As a precautionary measure until we have more information,… Read full this story
- Vietnam’s role in reshaping Asian supply chains is growing: HSBC
- Drastic new measures for stricken Venezuelan economy
- Fall Premiere Dates For New & Returning Series On Broadcast, Cable & Streaming: 2019 Edition
- New York Times reporter makes ABC documentary on race in Australia
- Chinese state media issues dire warning as Hong Kong protests take dark turn
- New details reveal acrimonious split between Epstein and Duke of York
- New study shows what your community needs to do to survive the impact of automation
- Next Maharashtra CM from Shiv Sena, says NCP; new allies close to deal?
- 'We were just being precautious': Smiling Pastor Joel Osteen DEFENDS his decision not to shelter desperate Houston evacuees in his 17,000-seater megachurch sooner, citing 'safety issues'
- Christchurch Updates: New Zealand Has Banned Viewing And Sharing Of Mosque Attack Video
- How ‘Doctor Sleep’ Went Into A Coma At The B.O. With Dreary $14M+ Opening, Following Surprise $17M+ Attack By ‘Midway’ – Sunday Postmortem
- Protein mania: the rich world’s new diet obsession
Sunday shows preview: New COVID-19 variant emerges; supply chain issues and inflation persist have 384 words, post on thehill.com at November 30, 2021. This is cached page on CHUTEU. If you want remove this page, please contact us.